Why become a member? ×

Crackling at high volumes on SVT410 HLF

alexisonfire

More likely to be an issue with the driver than the connection. Sounds like there's probably some driver damage; misaligned or partly burnt out voice coil maybe - difficult to say without hearing it, but either way you probably need to get it repaired or replaced. As for cost, I dunno...

[quote name='steve-soar' post='695595' date='Dec 29 2009, 02:08 PM']Hi Alex it could be the tweeter, broken woofers (speakers) tend to buzz and fart, tweeters/horns crackle, as the can burn out more easily.
Turn off. or fully reduce the level of the tweeter and try again, so you can ommit this option.
Steve.[/quote]

I'll have a play when I get home, *edited out extremely stupid question*

Do you know how to open it up so I can check what speakers are in there, or am I better off taking it to PMT?

Edited by alexisonfire

[quote name='alexisonfire' post='695562' date='Dec 29 2009, 01:10 PM']Im getting a crackling noise from the top left speaker on my cab at higher volumes (well sort of ... 5).

Is it more likely to be the connection or the speaker itself as i doesn't crackle at low volumes?

How much would you say it would cost if I'd have to replace the speaker?

Ta very muchly.[/quote]

It could be that the speaker cone has "bottomed out". This is when the back of voice coil hits the magnet due to extreme cone movement. That can produce a kind of scraping or crackling noise. At low volumes the cone does not move too much and that would explain why it only happens at higher volumes.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I got a new head! So I could try and work out what was wrong with the cab,

... turns out it was the speakon cable! My Orange doesn't have speakon out's so I've had to use a standard jack cable, plugged it in and its completely fine!

Thanks for the help!

Edited by alexisonfire