Why become a member? ×

Fitted new Rotosound Swing bass strings, now got fret buzz

iconic

:)

I have had some RotoSound Swing Bass 66 (100/80/60/40) strings for over 6 months sitting around, and thought I may as well fit them whilst waiting for Top Gear Bolivia to start...

...now my E string has terrible fret buzz.....my original equipment 6 month old, dirty and many, many hours old Yamaha strings have never done this, nor did my Ernie Ball flatwounds I had on for 2 weeks.....also these Rotosounds feel so rough to the touch.

I have never, ever set-up the bass from new...it has always played OK without tweaking out the box.....the original strings held tune so well too, maybe a slight 1/8 turn every now and then....

Any ideas guys

I'm not surprised - different brands of strings have different tensions, they might even be a different gauge from your old set (isn't the standard 45-65-85-105?). I tend to get my bass set up for one brand and gauge and just stick to that so I don't have to fiddle too much when changing strings.

And the roughness is something you have to get used to with Rotosounds. I used to hate it, now I love the way they grip my fingers. :)

Edited by donut

thanks for the prompt help guys...gota be the action, I simply thought that I could just swop them over, no probs with my Ernie Balls E string either.

I slapped (no pun intended) my Yamaha OE strings back on and all is well...don't really sound much different being round wounds too.

...ayone want some RotoSounds...3 mins use!