Why become a member? ×

Any ideas what this P copy is....

haruki

Hi - I've got a question for the bassschat experts....any ideas what this might be - is it really a squier?

I bought this off ebay and was told it was a squier... but I have my doubts (and I was in a hurry to get a maple necked precision copy for my son)....

Its old and the machineheads are oxidised and the maple fretboard has got that darkned sort of stained look. The neck is quite thin (and with no skunk stripe). Plain neck plate.

The body seems to have quite a shiny hard brittle surface that has chipped at one point -is that nitro-cellulose?.
I presume pickup and electronics have been added?

I took the neck off to put a shim in and found some writing - is that japanese chinese korean???

Any ideas? All advice gratefully appreciated.

[attachment=38907:015.JPG] [attachment=38905:011.JPG] [attachment=38906:013.JPG] [attachment=38908:music_stuff_011.JPG] [attachment=38909:bass_pics_005.JPG]

Not a Squier - not with 21 frets, a squared-off heel & what look like Abalone inlays. I think it was probably a Hohner originally, & since it's Korean, probably Arbor series. Check this one out:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=22977"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=22977[/url]

Apart from the headstock shape, I'd say the neck (heel, frets, inlays) was the same.
Jon.

Thanks fellas and Mrs Smashie......I do think you are all pretty smart to recognise these things. Very impressive.

Must admit the body shape looks like the Hohner and the finger rest fits and the neck fit on the back. The dots are abalone like too and the placing of the bridge looks the same.

The bridge on mine is def different though - standard P model unlike the hohner - maybe added with jack sockets and fake sticker.

I dont know how consistently they made these either but to my (and Mrs Haruki's) eye the shaping above bridge isnt quite as marked on mine.

Its strange that the headstock is so different and Fender like. Maybe its a mongrel.

Looks more hohner than squier tho.

[quote name='haruki' post='694442' date='Dec 27 2009, 06:37 PM']Thanks fellas and Mrs Smashie......I do think you are all pretty smart to recognise these things. Very impressive.

Must admit the body shape looks like the Hohner and the finger rest fits and the neck fit on the back. The dots are abalone like too and the placing of the bridge looks the same.

The bridge on mine is def different though - standard P model unlike the hohner - maybe added with jack sockets and fake sticker.

I dont know how consistently they made these either but to my (and Mrs Haruki's) eye the shaping above bridge isnt quite as marked on mine.

Its strange that the headstock is so different and Fender like. Maybe its a mongrel.

Looks more hohner than squier tho.[/quote]

It's possible that your bass wasn't a "Hohner", but came from the same factory (probably Cort) and therefore shared some manufacturing similarities. Either that, or production details & specs changed over the period the model was manufactured.

I think it's safe to conclude that your bass and the Hohner both came from the same factory.

J.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Johnston' post='710145' date='Jan 12 2010, 04:09 PM']Hi folks My first post here and to say

That looks very like My hohner arbor, same headstock bridge tuners similar shape scratch plate although mine was busted many years ago! it had screws were there was once a thumb rest Although you say yours has a skinny neck mine definitely could not be described as skinny :lol:

Mine too had a fender precision bass sticker on the head stock but the give away was it said hohner arbor on the neck plate. Though strangely an e mail to hohner with the serial number on the plate to try and source a scratch plate came back saying there was no such bass and the number didn't match any of their records :rolleyes: :)

I put a set of seymour duncan quarter pounders and a soap bar that came free when subscribing to bassist magazine on mine it looked like crap because of the busted plate bad paint job and generally because it had had so many uncareful owners but sounded great when plugged in .

I have been trying to rebuild it but put it to one side as I couldn't get a plate. if you want pics of the head stock and body to compare just say.[/quote]

that sounds pretty cool, i'd love to see pictures of that. shame about the missing pickguard though.