Why become a member? ×

FS/FT - Fender Fat Strat: USA California Series

With a heavy heart I'm forced to sell my first ever electric guitar, bought brand new before I started playing bass around 11 years ago.
It's a Fat Strat model from the California Series which was only made for a couple of years in the late 90s, you can google it for more information.
It's in great condition as it hasn't been played much over the last 4 or 5 years and kept mostly for sentimental value. There is a tiny ding on the back of the neck but couldn't get it to show up in the photos. The volume pot was replaced a long time ago with a black one, the original is long gone but new ones are not hard to find.
Sadly, as I get my sh*t together to set off for a cruise gig in January, I need to sort out my finances.
I'm willing to travel so pickup from Glasgow, Edinburgh or Dundee would be great, but also happy to ship at buyer's expense. Comes with original Fender hardcase and all the bits and pieces I got with it, including the tremolo bar. The case is covered in stickers but they can be removed if requested.

I'm open to offers. Also up for trades for a 5 string bass.
See photos below:

Edited by joerattray

[quote name='noisedude' post='692538' date='Dec 23 2009, 07:37 PM']Perfect colours for Christmas ................... ballpark price?[/quote]

Saw a California Series PJ bass go for £475 on here recently so around the £450 mark would be great, if perhaps a little ambitious. Any pricing advice from someone who really knows their Fenders would be much appreciated!

[quote name='joerattray' post='695518' date='Dec 29 2009, 12:09 PM']After doing a bit of reading up (and with the help of a member of this forum, cheers!), I've realised that my price was way too steep. Would be very happy with offers between £250 and £300, but still also looking for a 5 string bass.[/quote]

Really? I don't want to contradict someone who in all likelihood knows better than me, but that seems to be a little on the cheap side for an early 90s US Strat. Personally if I was eBaying this I'd start it at around £300 and expect to pull down between four and five hundred. Of course that's just my opinion and I could be wrong.

[quote name='maxrossell' post='695531' date='Dec 29 2009, 12:17 PM']Really? I don't want to contradict someone who in all likelihood knows better than me, but that seems to be a little on the cheap side for an early 90s US Strat. Personally if I was eBaying this I'd start it at around £300 and expect to pull down between four and five hundred. Of course that's just my opinion and I could be wrong.[/quote]
You don't know what the California series was then mate ............ they had to pull 'em because 'Made in USA' wasn't technically the full story! Also, made in 1997-98.

Doesn't stop it being an ace guitar though.

Yeah. As you can read [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_California_Series_%28USA%29"]here[/url] the California Series was split between their factories in Corona, California and Ensenada, Mexico. This changes the situtation price-wise quite a bit. Really, I'm just looking to pay my rent and unfortunately this has to go, as lovely a guitar as it is.

Edited by joerattray