Why become a member? ×

Yellowjackets transcription

XB26354

[quote name='XB26354' timestamp='1260990878' post='686689']
Hi,
This one's a bit of a toughie but well worth working through. I'm not really a fan of the 'jackets but this track sticks out for the effortless groove, nice changes and a tasty bass solo! The only problem is that you'll need a 6-string with 24 frets to play at pitch as it goes from bottom to top.

I've written the changes over the tune, except for the bass solo (which uses the same changes as the main melody) as it would look too cramped. The solo is also written one octave lower than played to a) fit it on the stave better and :) make it easier to read if you're playing on a 4- or 5-string.

Don't be fooled by the linear-looking solo - it is pretty hard to get the definition and flow that Jimmy Haslip does, and there are several finger tangles that may require further practice (did for me!) He has a very unusual solo style, quite scale based but lyrical at the same time (doutbless due to playing "upside down").

Enjoy, and as always let me know if you find any mistakes!
Cheers
Mat
[/quote]

Hi,
This one's a bit of a toughie but well worth working through. I'm not really a fan of the 'jackets but this track sticks out for the effortless groove, nice changes and a tasty bass solo! The only problem is that you'll need a 6-string with 24 frets to play at pitch as it goes from bottom to top.

I've written the changes over the tune, except for the bass solo (which uses the same changes as the main melody) as it would look too cramped. The solo is also written one octave lower than played to a) fit it on the stave better and :) make it easier to read if you're playing on a 4- or 5-string.

Don't be fooled by the linear-looking solo - it is pretty hard to get the definition and flow that Jimmy Haslip does, and there are several finger tangles that may require further practice (did for me!) He has a very unusual solo style, quite scale based but lyrical at the same time (doutbless due to playing "upside down").

Enjoy, and as always let me know if you find any mistakes!
Cheers
Mat

Edited by XB26354