Why become a member? ×

G&L L2000

Jigster

Have an '80 L1000, an '82 L2000, '83 L2000, '85 L2000, '88 L2000 and '91 L2000, among other G&L basses. The design and profile of the neck used for the L1000/L2000 changed in '83, and again in '88, so you'll experience differences over the decade (80s). But if it's specifically an L2000E then you're talking about a bass produced in either '81 or '82 (as those were the only years when there were active and passive versions of the L2000).

The feel of the '80 L1000 and '82 L2000 is much more substantial than current G&L models. It's what you might call chunky, along the lines of 70s era Fender Precisions, but less substantial than 80s era Fender Precisions. The profile is more rounded than what G&L currently offer, and also as compared to the '83 and later versions. It's more of a "C-shape" than an "Oval" (if you view G&L's current standard neck as being an "Oval"). Both the '80 L1000 and '82 L2000 are a little less rounded over on the touchboard edge than the '83 and later versions. It's in no way a Fender Jazz-like neck.

In many ways it's typical of other Precison-like 70s and 80s era instruments and, in addition to 70s era Fender Precisions, in terms of feel the closest comparators I can suggest are Yamaha's BB1200 (measured against a '79 example) and Aria's SB1000 (measured against an '85 example).

[url="http://www.ggjaguar.com/l-2000e.htm"]http://www.ggjaguar.com/l-2000e.htm[/url] theres plenty of other spec here too.

I did put this on the other thread for the L1500 but you may have missed it. :)

As an after though to noelk27s thoughts on the chunkyness of them, ive a BABP L1000 reissue from this yesr, has the #8 neck and weighs in around 9.5 lbs, ive a few early wunkays and L2ks and apart from the body woods changing the weight of the overall instrument, I never feel theres a great deal of difference between them, but Im never really sure about the finer points, although I have a lawsuit headstock SB2 and I swear the neck is in every way profile wise the same as my ray.

Edited by nig

thanks for the info guys

tell me - wud I be mad to trade my 2008 MM Stingray for a G&L 2000 I've seen - I reckon by matching serial numbers as best as poss on GuitarsByLeo page that it's an early/mid 90s model - pretty darn sure it's USA made as says built in Fullerton on the headstock, (don't think they were constructing in the far east back then?) - it's got so much variety and the active/passive options - is in really good nick, and just seems to sound BETTER than the Ray I have

the G&L is at £899, wud i be a pratt?

[quote name='Jigster' post='694357' date='Dec 27 2009, 04:30 PM']thanks for the info guys

tell me - wud I be mad to trade my 2008 MM Stingray for a G&L 2000 I've seen - I reckon by matching serial numbers as best as poss on GuitarsByLeo page that it's an early/mid 90s model - pretty darn sure it's USA made as says built in Fullerton on the headstock, (don't think they were constructing in the far east back then?) - it's got so much variety and the active/passive options - is in really good nick, and just seems to sound BETTER than the Ray I have

the G&L is at £899, wud i be a pratt?[/quote]

MB1. :)
....True!...the G@L has More flexibility tone wise...but nothing sounds like the Stingray!....Youll REGRET IT!
Sounds like youve been offered a U.S [email protected] you trade youre Stingray!...Check out the G@L Tribute 2000s(made in korea?/indonesia?...i think?)..They use the American pickups and Electrics and are very good and not as Expensive (second hand price £300-£350)...new about £599.,,,,I use a Stingray.... and have had a Foriegn [email protected] one out!..Keep the Ray and save for the foriegn G@L :rolleyes:

Edited by MB1

[quote name='Jigster' post='694376' date='Dec 27 2009, 04:56 PM']i hear yu MB1 - but I tell ya what, the G string rings so clear on the G&L - unlike my Ray :)[/quote]

MB1. :rolleyes:
I understand! :lol:
...If you need to keep your Ring Clear of your G string!...You could always try adjusting your Strap! :lol:

played rays since I was 19, im 51 now, went across to the dark side with g&l around 10 years ago, still have my 1st 78 ray, 1 other and a sabre, you get the g&l bug and then you understand it all, leos finest hour and best kept secret, theres no turning back.... :)