Why become a member? ×

wingey top string

mrcrow

yamaha 270J

i have set up my bass just as i would advise anyone
all the string outputs are equal

the tone is as i like it setting everything flat on the amp and bddi and no tone cut on the bass

the G string is very wingey up to the 9th fret

the strings arent new but seem to hold sustain ok

any advice appreciated
cheers
geof

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='683762' date='Dec 14 2009, 10:38 AM']That's 'whinging' or 'whining' - mine do that all the time!!!

:rolleyes:

G.[/quote]

guess i am stuck with it.. :)

i will try a new set and different gauges...or just play the notes on the D string...only up to D'

Does it sound like that acoustically? Are they choking on upper frets? Have you tried (1) releasing the truss rod just a little & (2) trying changing the heights of the pickups on that side?

I recently got an OLP with a pretty poor B string. A decent setup & new strings plus lifting the pickup on the bass end has made it into a real monster with an incredibly strong & clear B. So much so that my guitarist mate who plays bass in another band has grabbed it off me!

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='683947' date='Dec 14 2009, 01:27 PM']Does it sound like that acoustically? Are they choking on upper frets? Have you tried (1) releasing the truss rod just a little & (2) trying changing the heights of the pickups on that side?

I recently got an OLP with a pretty poor B string. A decent setup & new strings plus lifting the pickup on the bass end has made it into a real monster with an incredibly strong & clear B. So much so that my guitarist mate who plays bass in another band has grabbed it off me!

G.[/quote]

i think it must have been something along those lines...i took all the strings off and reset their alignment...i have just changed bridge and may have twisted the G since the holes in the bridge were a bit tight...drilled them out
did reset the pups as well...didnt really know what the settings are for covered polepieces but set them at the fender guidelines..more air now
seems a bit more fuller now..
new strings on the menu now soon...its a second hand bass and i dont know the string make and age...the E/A/D are fine

thanks all

Edited by mrcrow

I've recently moved from using Overwater 34" nickel medium to light strings, which on the G is a change from 0.044 to 0.038 (as shown on the string packaging - the website says 0.045 and 0.040). The light G string is definitely a bit wingier than the medium and I have seriously considered reverting back this string to medium weight (as I have one to hand). The remaining 4 lower strings are fine and I prefer them to the previous set for ease of playing and pretty much identical sound quality.

Practically though, the winginess is more in the acoustical sound of the struck string, the sound via the P/U's isn't hugely different. In the end, the heavier G might unbalance the playing feel so I haven't felt quite motivated enough to make the change to revert back to the 0.044 G.

I think the message for you might be to see if you can try out a heavier G which is still compatible with the remaining strings.

Good luck, let us know what eventuates...

Edited by sdgrsr400

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='684463' date='Dec 14 2009, 08:38 PM']Nice colour!

The height between the string & the P pup is, visually, a bit high-looking. Is the G response the same with the J pup & P pup solo'd?

Do you have an old set that'll fit it? If so stick on the G & see if it's the same.

G.[/quote]

the new bridge saddles are right down...with the D and G fretted at fret 21...as in fender P neck dimentsions.. the gap to the P pup is under 1/8" and all outputs seem to be the same

similarly the A/E on the other bit..1/8" gap...
i dont really need the J much as i favour the P sound on this but have set that pup to under 1/8" ..just a smidgeon

you are right about a string check though...i think i will actually go for a new set since i think this may have been popped a lot ..its a second hand bass

never thought i would ever get a purple people eater bass.. :)

thanks geoff

[quote name='sdgrsr400' post='684726' date='Dec 15 2009, 12:08 AM']I've recently moved from using Overwater 34" nickel medium to light strings, which on the G is a change from 0.044 to 0.038 (as shown on the string packaging - the website says 0.045 and 0.040). T[b]he light G string is definitely a bit wingier than the medium and I have seriously considered reverting back this string to medium weight ([/b]as I have one to hand). The remaining 4 lower strings are fine and I prefer them to the previous set for ease of playing and pretty much identical sound quality.

Practically though, the winginess is more in the acoustical sound of the struck string, the sound via the P/U's isn't hugely different. In the end, the heavier G might unbalance the playing feel so I haven't felt quite motivated enough to make the change to revert back to the 0.044 G.

I think the message for you might be to see if you can try out a heavier G which is still compatible with the remaining strings.

Good luck, let us know what eventuates...[/quote]

this crossed my mind..thanks...i dont know the gauge and i usually use a 045...up to 105 etc...bog standard guy
it could be that

along with geoff's comments i shouldnt hesitate to change the lot...but havent settled on the string make that does slim windings at the tuners

see this photo

on this thread which no one has picked up yet

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=70469"]string survey[/url]

cheers

[quote name='sdgrsr400' post='684726' date='Dec 15 2009, 12:08 AM']Good luck, let us know what eventuates...[/quote]

not ordering strings just yet till santa calms down and things are back to normal

managed to sort out what i think could have been the problem

i normally set my bow to the E string...making it fairly low setting...the usual business card gap with fret 1 and 17 held down, or the fret 5 and 9..pluck fret 7 via an amp and listen for high pitched ring

the G i discovered was a bit close and being whippy and was doing some funny wobbly vibrations and actually needed more bow...

so i set that to my normal bow setting...the E and the rest are a bit larger but within reasonable amounts to suit my fretting pressure

i also gave the G a bit more action height...
it seems to have sorted it out...

i think the string set is really kaput and outside its stable lifespan for my liking

new slinkies for my birthday..early january

thanks guys for the input...there is always something you never knew or at least thought you knew..

Edited by mrcrow