Why become a member? ×

pedulla rapture

ziggydolphinboy

I've got the 4-string single pickup version which sounds amazing. Body and neck are both maple so it has a very bright sound. Bartolini pickups and 2-band preamp give you good control over the tone, though I run it flat 99% of the time.

They're fairly light, the body is small and contoured so they are very comfortable to play. The neck is thinner front to back than a Jazz bass, 1.5" nut width, with a dual action truss and two reinforcing rods - once it's been set up properly you very very rarely have to adjust it, plus you can have the action down to a little over 1mm at the 12th fret no problem.

Build quality is fantastic as you would expect from a £2000 instrument, however I would never spend that much on any bass :) Are you watching the 5 string on eBay by any chance :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...

My Findings
I did fancy these basses, but having trialed one, found it to have a slight head dive. I didn't like the neck profile which seemed to be triangular, a ridge to the centre rather than a C or D profile was more < not horrible but slightly strange. The build quality and sound were great and I genuinely wanted to love the bass but felt it was not for me. The head drop was the one thing that put me off more than the profile. I eventually found the Schack which is rare in UK but it is very much a cross between the Pedulla and a Warwick.
check it out
www.schack-guitars.de

Edited by deepbass5

• 1 year later...

Hi there, I have a 5 string JJ version that I got second hand for £1000 around 2005, a bit too much maybe but I don't regret it. It belonged to my former teacher and for 5 years I longed for it.

It comes in lovely CAR with rosewood fretboard, the neck and body are maple as usual. Very light, indeed, and the slimmest neck I've had. It's glossy finish and the slightly unusual profile makes it a bit slow for me, compared with my other basses, but it is not an issue. Mine doesn't have a head dive, in fact it is probably one of the best balanced basses I've seen. The neck is very stable and you can have a very low action so it is very comfortable. Regarding the sound, I think it is amazing, with the two Bartolini J-style pups and the two-band preamp. The downside is that it has very little output for an active bass and nowadays I feel a bit lost if I don't have a mid-freq pot to fiddle with. Mind you, every time I record something with it it comes incredibly clear and well-defined on the mix... I heard that now they come with an Aguilar preamp, I'm looking forward to try one...

All things considered it is a great bass, perhaps "Jazz Bass on steroids" is a good definition for it. Outstandind build quality, 9/10 for me there. 7.5/10 for the sound. If I had the money, I'd get a soapbar version.

Cheers.

Pablo.

[quote name='lucatus' timestamp='1353072357' post='1871258']
Hi there, I have a 5 string JJ version that I got second hand for £1000 around 2005, a bit too much maybe but I don't regret it. It belonged to my former teacher and for 5 years I longed for it.

It comes in lovely CAR with rosewood fretboard, the neck and body are maple as usual. Very light, indeed, and the slimmest neck I've had. It's glossy finish and the slightly unusual profile makes it a bit slow for me, compared with my other basses, but it is not an issue. Mine doesn't have a head dive, in fact it is probably one of the best balanced basses I've seen. The neck is very stable and you can have a very low action so it is very comfortable. Regarding the sound, I think it is amazing, with the two Bartolini J-style pups and the two-band preamp. The downside is that it has very little output for an active bass and nowadays I feel a bit lost if I don't have a mid-freq pot to fiddle with. Mind you, every time I record something with it it comes incredibly clear and well-defined on the mix... I heard that now they come with an Aguilar preamp, I'm looking forward to try one...

All things considered it is a great bass, perhaps "Jazz Bass on steroids" is a good definition for it. Outstandind build quality, 9/10 for me there. 7.5/10 for the sound. If I had the money, I'd get a soapbar version.

Cheers.

Pablo.
[/quote]

+1 I've never heard of or experienced neckdive with these basses

YMMV but I don't think the Aguilar preamp would be suited to mine