Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVT-VR vs. Ampeg SVT pros

civictiger

I thought the majority of SVT pros had tubes in em somewhere, with the SVT II pro being all tube?

I guess the pros have more scope for fine tuning your tone than the VR, though some people like as little knobs as possible and an awesome tone from just plugging in and playing - minimum messing needed. Pros are also much much cheaper if you go second hand (can't comment on new prices).

VR's look awesome though, however you need the matching 810 :) .

As for the racking thing, don't particularly see how one is better over the other. As long as you don't just throw your head around it shouldn't be a problem. Aesthetic thing I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='ashevans09' post='675312' date='Dec 5 2009, 10:35 PM']I thought the majority of SVT pros had tubes in em somewhere, with the SVT II pro being all tube?

I guess the pros have more scope for fine tuning your tone than the VR, though some people like as little knobs as possible and an awesome tone from just plugging in and playing - minimum messing needed. Pros are also much much cheaper if you go second hand (can't comment on new prices).

VR's look awesome though, however you need the matching 810 :) .

As for the racking thing, don't particularly see how one is better over the other. As long as you don't just throw your head around it shouldn't be a problem. Aesthetic thing I guess.[/quote]

In my opinion an SVT Pro is not what Ampeg are famous for . Really the SVT Classic or Classic VR is the amp to have, the V4BH is also a nice head. Im not Knocking the SVT Pros but they are just a different animal with a different sound, I have owend an SVT 4 pro, lovely amp but it sounds nothing like my SVT classic.

The SVT 2 Pro is all valve so that may be the one to go for as you can rack mount it, but its also very heavy and uses a lot of valves in the power amp section.

As for valve maintenance thats more of a myth. A good valve amp will never give trouble and you just change the power tubes after about 1-2 years depending on usage, pre amp tubes last longer. The SVT Classis is self biasing so you never need bring it to a tech unless its broken.

Hope this helps

[quote name='civictiger' post='674691' date='Dec 5 2009, 03:18 AM']im interested..

since the pro's are rack mounted, its ideal to have them. also the fact that they dont require tube maintenance e.t.c..
however, what are the pro's and con's? of having either?

just a little discussion I wouldnt mind you lot talking about, for my own educational purpose.[/quote]
most of the pros have valve preamps!

[quote name='paulie' post='689319' date='Dec 19 2009, 07:15 PM']In my opinion an SVT Pro is not what Ampeg are famous for . Really the SVT Classic or Classic VR is the amp to have, the V4BH is also a nice head.[/quote]

Unless you find an original early 70's one then the Classic and the VR just become, well nearly.