Why become a member? ×

Where to try out some good basses in London?

Dubhghaill

I want a new 5 string bass.

The short list right now is:
[list]
[*]MusicMan Stingray/Bongo
[*]Lakland Darryl Jones
[*]Warwick Thumb
[*]Wal (if I can find one)
[/list]

But the problem is that I've never actually played any of them. So I don't know which one I would like the most. I like the sound of these basses from records I've heard them on, but I've never actually got to try one out.

All of the bass shops that I've been to just stock loads of crap basses and nothing of any real value.

Shall I bite the bullet and order one online and hope for the best?

You'll be wanting to visit Alex at the Bass Gallery in Camden, then. He's a lovely guy & they have just about the most comprehensive stock in the area. :)

And for the record, yes you can be lucky with mail order, but I like to try before I buy. Mass produced basses especially are very variable from instrument to instrument.

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='673663' date='Dec 3 2009, 09:28 PM']You'll be wanting to visit Alex at the Bass Gallery in Camden, then. He's a lovely guy & they have just about the most comprehensive stock in the area. :)[/quote]

Thank you! I just looked up their website and they have lots of the basses that I've been considering in stock! :rolleyes: I will definitely visit them on Saturday.

[quote name='bigsmokebass' post='679696' date='Dec 9 2009, 10:46 PM']bass centre any help? all i know is that its in london but im actually from up north so i'm hardly any help but wish you all the best ^_^

[url="http://www.basscentre.com/"]http://www.basscentre.com/[/url][/quote]

Unfortunately The Bass Centre doesn't have any shops any more ..... it's an online retailer now.