Why become a member? ×

floppy strings on a 35" 5-string

Al Heeley

My 35" scale Gecko 5-string is fitted with a set of D'addario long scale strings, from memory 40/60/80/100/130 but they are very floppy - I get a fair bit of slap when I play hard. I'd prefer a set of strings that give similar tension to my MM or JB 34" scale (standard 4-string).
Can anyone recommend a different set of strings I could try that would give me a bit of a tighter feel?

Put heavier strings on - say 45-135 if you can and avoid nickel strings as I find they are a bit more pliant than stainless steel.
Having said that I've got 40-60-80-100-130 on the top 5 strings of my MTD and they are very taut. Did you only notice this with the latest strings you bought or all the time?

It's strange you get a floppy B with a .130 because when I owned an Ibanez SR505 earlier this year, I put the same of strings on the bass and it was fine and Ibanez SR's are known for their floppy B string's as well if not set up correctly...

Edited by erisu

I think I'd need to see you playing to be sure what the issue is - it could be a duff B or it may not be the strings at all
I've got a 35" scale MTD and never had a problem with floppy strings, no matter which brand I've used.
As I'm sure you're aware the extra scale length immediately makes any string of the same make and gauge tuned to pitch (on a 34" bass) more taut.
Oh, one other thing - I recently switched from DR to D'addario and the long set wasn't long enough - does the B taper down before it reaches the nut?
In the end only the super-long set fit (although many thanks to D'addario for sending me another set for free!)

Its not just the B, its all of them, only the G feels more like my 34" basses. The strings are long scale so no taper before the nut slots.
I find they are slacker as notes can be bent on this bass a lot easier than my 34" 4-string basses, I thought it might be scale length but you're right it should work the other way round (like a strat vs a les paul - shorter scale = less taut strings).
I play quite percussively but the gecko has a lot more slap on it than the other basses due to the more flaccid strings, and I really don't want to raise the action, maybe I need to try a set of DR Low's. Am I likely to get a tighter set if i go for slightly thicker gauge?