Why become a member? ×

Preamp Issues - Please Help!

gamester4520503

Hi there - I have just finished installing an Artec SE3 preamp into my Epi T-Bird, and I have had no end of bother with it. Poor quality soldering that had to be redone, flimsy battery connector...

Anyway. I was hoping that someone here could help me. When I first set it all up and began playing (bass->amp), it was HORRIBLE. The tone knobs do not work, and (from my limited electrical know-how) it sounds as though the op-amps in the circuit are distorting, even with low volumes. What makes this more annoying is that, with an 18v power supply as opposed to the 9v, it still fails to work properly - most of the nasty distortion has gone until full volume, where it returns - but the tone knobs are still non-functioning. The pots are wired properly and plugged into the blasted thing, it just gives me no joy.

Any advice is most welcome!

Many thanks.

[url="http://www.artecsound.com/pickups/electronics/se3.html"]http://www.artecsound.com/pickups/electronics/se3.html[/url]

[quote name='Musky' post='668542' date='Nov 28 2009, 06:53 PM']No possibility of returning it to where you bought?[/quote]

If only I could. Sadly it's an ebay special, and I doubt they will take it back after it's been soldered. If this is hopeless, can anyone recommend a fairly cheap pre-amp circuit that is fairly low profile?

[quote name='dave.c' post='669554' date='Nov 29 2009, 10:18 PM']It would use your existing volume controls and is a bass cut/boost and treble cut/ boost on two pots. the board has two small switches that I think change the frequencies at which these work. The circuit board is attached to one of the pots and I reckon you would need about 23mm depth in the control cavity.

Dave[/quote]

Thanks. I'll keep this in mind, as it could work, but I am looking for something with, well, more knobs! Ideally I would like a mid control too, and some form of pickup blending. Thanks a lot for the offer though!

Matt