Why become a member? ×

Lengthening your wire!

garethox

I have a TE 300W combo and I'd like to extend the speaker cable to around 2m. Is it easier to buy one of those cylinderical cable connection jobbies or is the best option to splice a longer cable to the TE one and would a block connection do the trick?

Cheers!

Edited by garethox

i read the title at "lengthening your wife"

look, i know she's only 5 foot tall, but i like her just the way she is !

:)

ahem

i'd not splice new cable - just get a new one. there's a lot of vibration knocking around with a bass cab...splicing might be cheaper, but the last thing you want is your amp head shorting across its output mid-gig.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='ahpook' post='664801' date='Nov 25 2009, 10:20 AM']i read the title at "lengthening your wife"

look, i know she's only 5 foot tall, but i like her just the way she is !

:)

ahem

i'd not splice new cable - just get a new one. there's a lot of vibration knocking around with a bass cab...splicing might be cheaper, but the last thing you want is your amp head shorting across its output mid-gig.[/quote]

Lol.... if only it were that simple. The wire comes out through a small gap at the back and I can't get to the speaker connection that easy. Looks like the adaptor route might be the answer.......

I would go for one of those cylindrical connector thangs - the main thing is to get a decent one (not a cheapo one that'll disconnect the hot if it's not perfectly in line with the plugs), then I'd connect your extension lead and tape it all up so there's no way it could be accidentally pulled out. Alternatively, you could make an extension lead that consists of a normal plug and an in line socket. You should be able to get all the bits from Maplins or maybe even Richer Sounds.

My wife needs lengthening, she's only 5'1" :)

[quote name='garethox' post='664792' date='Nov 25 2009, 10:06 AM']I have a[b] TE 300W combo[/b] and I'd like to extend the speaker cable to around 2m. Is it easier to buy one of those cylinderical cable connection jobbies or is the best option to splice a longer cable to the TE one and would a block connection do the trick?

Cheers![/quote]

you have got a few replies their...and i agree...a full new cable is the answer...mechanical joints arent really good transferrers of power unless you are mowing the lawn and it doesnt matter if the thing

forgive me but on a combo...isnt the cable to the speaker in the box
if its a head and then a cab

dohhhh.... :) :rolleyes:

do you mean the power cable...you can get them quite long