Why become a member? ×

Sansamp bass driver deluxe

howieee

hey everyone!

i am thinking about getting a tech21 sansamp bass driver deluxe. iv never tried one as my local music shops dont stock them or any other sansamp gear :) and as far as i can see theres 1 video on youtube with it in (at namm 08 i think..??)

anyways. does anyone have one. whats it like? im basicaly wanting to add dirtyness to my bass. i dont want to over distort it or add too much effect. but id just like to add some dirtyness to my bass for some of the tracks in my band. from what i can see it will improve my clean sound and give me the option of using 3 channels with i asume programable difrent levels of distortion/dirtyness? on 2 difrent guitars.

so your thoughts and opinions on this item please! iv heard its good. but thought id get the opinion of some fellow basschatters before comiting to buy!

thankyou!

Howard

Hi,

I bought the programmable bass driver (i.e the single input version of the deluxe) for exactly the same reasons as you say.

I been trying out distortion/overdrive pedals over the last few years but didn't get on with any of them. This does exactly what I want i.e adding a bit of edge/drive to the sound without any fuzz or loss of clarity/tone etc.

I have 3 settings stored with increasing levels of drive up to mild overdrive - it's works great for me and I would recommend to anyone not wanting full on overdrive/distortion.

Darren

I'd definitely recommend it. I use two channels set identical, with a little eq and none of the drive circuit for my main sound - one channel is set slightly higher as a boost channel. Then I have one with the drive circuit for a grind sound. It works brilliantly - I've never played an OD with such responsiveness; on the grind channel I can play softly and it stays clean. Play normally and you start to hear it break up, then dig in and get full overdrive. I love it!

The advantage of the deluxe is obviously the 2 inputs (however, as I only have 1 bass now, I use the 2nd set of presets purely for recording - that way I don't have to tinker with my onstage sounds). But the effects loop is also a godsend. I'm not big into effects, but my boss tuner sucks tone badly, so I just put it on the loop!

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='662505' date='Nov 23 2009, 11:20 AM']Doesn't do clean very well.[/quote]

whats wrong with the clean sound?

also darren and guybrush threepwood (lol :) ) thanks for the coments very helpfull indeed! i may ask for this for christmas! haha! it does sound good. as i do only want a grind/dirty effect. and it sounds responsive aswell thats good! i plan to use it with my rig.... how should i go about wireing it in? plug it straight into the amp as i would normaly with my guitar lead? straight into the front.

bass>sansamp>amplifire?

[quote name='howieee' post='662700' date='Nov 23 2009, 02:28 PM']how should i go about wireing it in? plug it straight into the amp as i would normaly with my guitar lead? straight into the front.

bass>sansamp>amplifire?[/quote]

bass > sansamp > amp

plus if you need to there is the Di out to a PA

Edited by darwin

[quote name='darwin' post='662769' date='Nov 23 2009, 03:28 PM']bass > sansamp > amp

plus if you need to there is the Di out to a PA[/quote]

This is how I wire mine in, except if I'm using an amp at a practice room, etc. I tend to find amps that don't sound that great benefit from wiring straight into the effects return, therefore bypassing the preamp section. Seriously, it can make horrible amps sound like SVTs!

[quote name='howieee' post='662700' date='Nov 23 2009, 02:28 PM']whats wrong with the clean sound?[/quote]

I didn't put it very well. If you're looking for a very hi-fi sound you'll not get a good one. All the thump comes with some degree of warm overdrive in the sound. Which is exactly what the thing sets out to do.
If you want an old school Motown valve type sound it can do that rather well.

i was in the same boat, needed a dirty sound, as we play some Tool stuff, tried this : - [url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/behringer-bdi-21/67205"]http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/behringer-bdi-21/67205[/url] , and with some R/S swing 66's on my Ibanez, i am getting a pretty cool tone, its so cheap it might be worth a shot?

i tried a bass big muff today! it was quite cool! especialy considering it was 54quid!! against 240 off for this sansamp. id like to try one but i dont think iv seen one in stock anywhere:/ will it give a dirty sound suitable for rock. i realy dont want distortion just dirty!

Yeah the BBM is great. I'm fortunate enough to own both the Bass Muff and the Sansamp BDDI, and I use them both very regularly, with my bass going through the sansamp about 95% of the time, and the Bass Muff used as fuzz when needed. So comparing the price of the two doesn't really get you anywhere, since they do very different things. If you wanna go cheaper on the tone-shaping-+-overdrive box then people like the Harke Bass Attack pedal (whatever it's called) which goes VERY cheap on ebay etc, but IMO there's no substitute for the sansamp.

[quote name='cm261' post='664514' date='Nov 24 2009, 11:16 PM']Yeah the BBM is great. I'm fortunate enough to own both the Bass Muff and the Sansamp BDDI, and I use them both very regularly, with my bass going through the sansamp about 95% of the time, and the Bass Muff used as fuzz when needed. So comparing the price of the two doesn't really get you anywhere, since they do very different things. If you wanna go cheaper on the tone-shaping-+-overdrive box then people like the Harke Bass Attack pedal (whatever it's called) which goes VERY cheap on ebay etc, but IMO there's no substitute for the sansamp.[/quote]

thanks for your coment! i didnt realy realise how diferent these 2 pedals are. i tried the big muff today and i havent been able to try a sansamp yet iv got my mind set on it though. it sounds so good to use! i read a review that couldnt actualy put the bass driver deluxe in a catagory cos it does so much!