Why become a member? ×

What P-Bass (To Be Used For It's Body)?

Lew-Bass

I've had a look around the pimping up threads, but failed to find a conclusive answer to a question I pose; what budget P-bass has the best body for use in a bit-part bass? Looking to make a P-bass with a Jazz neck, put an active circuit in etc.

I've seen SX recommended, but I'm more specifically on about solely the body as I would not get on with a P-bass neck, therefore aslong as the body is good, I'm not arsed about the neck being a dog

Cheers!

Thanks guys, basically my plan is; 4 string bass with a P-bass body and a Jazz width neck, with a Delano P pickup and Hybrid MM/J pickup at the bridge wired to be fully switchable with some type of active pre-amp. At a rough estimate, this way it will come to around £450 (excluding the cost of the work as I probably wont be able to do it myself, it shouldn't be too much, right?).

I think that it'd be cheaper and as effective as buying an unfinished body and doing it all myself, as I won't have to pay for the refinish and all the little bits of hardware. That's why I'm asking for a budget P-bass that has decent hardware. I've seen alot of good things written about SX, am I right in saying they're the best in the market for their price?

Lewis

Edited by Lew-Bass

Anyone got any brand suggestions? As I say I'd definately change the P'ups (swap the stock for a Delano, add the MM at the bridge in time possibly) and get a very slim neck on it, so it really is just a cheap bass with a decent body. I've been checking ebay and internet stores but there really isn't many LH basses. Anyone got any tips or anything would be much appreciated

I bought a cheap painted body for about £40 off e bay, it wasnt heavy, appeared to be solid wood not plywood, and the finish was excellent. The problem you may have with some of the bodes and neck is the fit between the 2 as not all p bass bodies and necks are the same.

[quote name='bumnote' post='663927' date='Nov 24 2009, 04:12 PM']I bought a cheap painted body for about £40 off e bay, it wasnt heavy, appeared to be solid wood not plywood, and the finish was excellent. The problem you may have with some of the bodes and neck is the fit between the 2 as not all p bass bodies and necks are the same.[/quote]

Did you put all the hardware on yourself? I'm not very good at that type of stuff. Also, I'm left-handed, and there's hardly anything out there, definately no 'blank' bodies :)