Why become a member? ×

MMCP Style preamp onto an OLP Stingray

derrenleepoole

Got myself one of [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290344214829&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_2680wt_899"]these[/url] to go into my single pickup OLP Stingray, but I'm having trouble installing it. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this properly? Cheers... Derren.

Edited by derrenleepoole

hi
you will need room for all the gubbins and a battery chamber..then a switching jack
also i would think some idea of what connections the pickup wires go to
iirc someone had an olp pup which had less wires than a musicman..sort of...your pup should have at least 2 hots and an earth...i suspect 2 hots and 2 earths...and maybe a screen around them

could mean some routing etc

[quote name='mrcrow' post='659550' date='Nov 19 2009, 07:34 PM']hi
you will need room for all the gubbins and a battery chamber..then a switching jack
also i would think some idea of what connections the pickup wires go to
iirc someone had an olp pup which had less wires than a musicman..sort of...your pup should have at least 2 hots and an earth...i suspect 2 hots and 2 earths...and maybe a screen around them

could mean some routing etc[/quote]

This is the crux of the problem:

Basically, the instructions are printed out in black and white, no biggy but just odd. The are a total of 4 wires from the humbucker pickup, 2 for each side I'm guessing, and the ground from the bridge. The preamp only has 3 wires to connect - 1 to the bridge ground, 1 to the hot wire of the pickup and 1 to the ground of the pickup (as the instructions call it). Now I've never owned a bass with a humbucker before, but I have successfully installed an Audere into a jazz bass. I guessing I need to wire the humbucker in a specific way, but this is were I'm coming unstuck and need the help.

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='659567' date='Nov 19 2009, 07:50 PM']This is the crux of the problem:

Basically, the instructions are printed out in black and white, no biggy but just odd. The are a total of 4 wires from the humbucker pickup, 2 for each side I'm guessing, and the ground from the bridge. The preamp only has 3 wires to connect - 1 to the bridge ground, 1 to the hot wire of the pickup and 1 to the ground of the pickup (as the instructions call it). Now I've never owned a bass with a humbucker before, but I have successfully installed an Audere into a jazz bass. I guessing I need to wire the humbucker in a specific way, but this is were I'm coming unstuck and need the help.[/quote]

In that case then you need to join the ends of the two coils on the OLP pickup. In the original OLP wiring, one hot will have gone to one volume pot and the other hot will have gone to the second volume pot. You need to take the hot of the south coil and wire that to the ground of the north coil. Then use the ground of the south coil and the hot from the north coil as your two pickup wires to the preamp.