Why become a member? ×

Hartke HA3500 Volume Problems

number4our

Hello

(apologies if this post is already on here somewhere, I did have a search but no luck)

This my first time in the forum as I have recently got myself involved with a band playing Bass and I have just got a new Hartke HA3500 Bass Head. I have a Hartke Transporter 4x10 cab (300 watts at 8 ohms i believe?).

I'm having a little trouble with the volume of the unit when I play different strings (strange yes?). Mainly the difference in the power of the bass sound between notes played on the E string and notes played on the A string. Any notes on the E string are really powerful/noisy/bassy during my band practice but any notes played on the A string will just get drowned out in the noise of the 1 guitar and drums. It bassically sounds like it's cutting out when we practice but I think its just getting drowned out.

Can anyone advise on how to get the levels between the strings more equal? (stupid, I know). I was using a mates Ashdown head before this and it was fine. The Hartke unit is well nice but I can't get this problem sorted with all the nob twiddling i'm doing.

Any help would be much appreciated as I have some gigs in the next couple of weeks and I need the thing sounding quality.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

There will be a few things at play here.

The 3500 is only 250w at 8 Ohms and the Transporter cab you have is not particular efficient, this isn't going to help.

However, you can try cutting some of the low (this might sound counter-intuitive, but it can remove some of the boomyness) to see if this improves things. Making sure you're not EQ'ing out too much midrange (so avoid a heavy smilyface graphic) as you can lose presence by doing this.

Also, look at your pickup height, depending on the bass you might be able to adjust things to improve.

Lastly it's also a matter of technique - I've fought this myself and have only recently been able to get better at this, but the E string is the biggest and loosest, so it moves more and thus generates more output, therefore don't play it quite so hard! If you have a split P pickup arrangement, screw down the E side a touch to get the polepieces further from the strings.

Cheers,
James

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='number4our' post='658090' date='Nov 18 2009, 01:56 PM']I have just got a new Hartke HA3500 Bass Head. I have a Hartke Transporter 4x10 cab (300 watts at 8 ohms i believe?).

I'm having a little trouble with the volume of the unit when I play different strings (strange yes?). Mainly the difference in the power of the bass sound between notes played on the E string and notes played on the A string. Any notes on the E string are really powerful/noisy/bassy during my band practice but any notes played on the A string will just get drowned out in the noise of the 1 guitar and drums. It bassically sounds like it's cutting out when we practice but I think its just getting drowned out.

Can anyone advise on how to get the levels between the strings more equal? (stupid, I know). I was using a mates Ashdown head before this and it was fine.[/quote]

Could it be that your cab was positioned somewhere differently in the practice room? You might just have got reflections which were reinforcing the sound of the notes on your E, or phasing out the sound of your A. Try moving the cab further away from any walls and see if things improve.