Why become a member? ×

Warwick Thumb 4 BO - Sold

Snarf

To liberate some space in my weeny flat, up for sale is my Thumb 4 bolt on. This bass has served me well over the past few years (think I've owned it for 4 now), being my trusty steed for a lot of the gigs I played in that time.

This bass has been well looked after, so it's in great condition. Although there are a couple of small marks on the body - there's one near the jack plug and a couple of small ones on the back. There's also a mark on the headstock tip where it met my wall (the mark is some of the paint that came away from the wall). Also the volume pot has lost a bit of its blackness on the sides due to my using it.

The serial is M-120655-05 so I believe that makes it 4 years this December.

It comes with Warwick gig bag and has the handy Warwick book thing with tools and manual. It'll also come with the strap, the bass has the Warwick straplock things (not the strap in the first pic though). Everything is stock on the bass, nothing's been tampered with or changed (apart from strings!).

Sold.

Edited by Snarf

This is a smashing deal. My 1999 Thumb with no marks and a Wenge neck cost me £590, just a smidge less than this. If I had the money, I'd be buying this as I desperately want a fretless thumb or a thumb to get defretted!

As it stands, I find the the Thumb is a very peculiar bass. Once you have one, you'll be hooked and nothing else will suffice. In amongst Kubicki, Spector, Status and Fender basses, my Warwick Thumb has been my favourite of the lot. I won't let it go, being without it is simply not an option as it is so incredibly unique and "specific" yet so versatile. Don't listen to the guff that people say when they hear Warwick and think metal or funk rock, I use mine for fusion, RUSH, pop, a bit of everything!

Cracking bass for a cracking price!

Thanks Chris and Mikhay! I really don't want to see the back of this, but needs must unfortunately. I've used it for a few different styles and it's always worked well for me! When I've got more money and space, I'll be getting me a neck thru 4. Or an Infinity. I freakin' love the tone of this bass (and my other two Thumb basses!). Alas the price reflects how much I need to sell it!

Ahpook, I don't remember having any neck dive problems with this when playing it live, there is some but I've never found it a problem. My 5 string neck through can be a bit of a pain for that sometimes but generally it's ok! With basses I've had in the past with real neck dive probs, I owned a Warlock for a while and that was ridiculous, so I used gaffer tape to create friction on the strap and that made it a lot easier to handle.

The bolt-on Thumbs are longer in the body than the through-neck equivalents. This means that they do balance far better and neck dive is hardly an issue. If you read people complaining about neck dive on a Warwick Thumb you can guarantee they're talking about the through-neck version.

I LOVE my Warwick Thumb BO 4 and will take it to my grave. This is an absolute steal, you won't need luck selling this as you're practically giving it away! :)

Aye, I have never found neck dive to be a problem. Mind you, I do wear my bass Mark King style high, which is how the Thumb is meant to be worn! But it never neck dives. Also dispelling the common Thumb myth, it doesn't feel like a boat anchor. It is a heavy bass, and definitely feels more "solid" than anything I've ever owned, but it never feels like a terrible weight. I guess that is because the weight is focused in such a small area that supporting it isn't a problem!