Why become a member? ×

Difference between line out and DI

Jigster

Line out is a far hotter signal, .5 to 2 Volts compared to millivolts for Mic level. It is usually provided to drive another amplifier rather than sending to a mixer.

Most sound men will want a Mic level, balanced signal that matches everything else arriving at their desk and if you are connecting via a snake then it will be down balanced XLR connections.

If I don't mic a guitar amp I will run a short lead from the line out of the amp to a DI box and from there to the desk.

A line out is normally a feed from the preamp so is more likely to be post EQ. You would have to check the individual unit's documentation to be sure.

[quote name='Tengu' post='655193' date='Nov 15 2009, 02:23 PM']Line out is a far hotter signal, .5 to 2 Volts compared to millivolts for Mic level. It is usually provided to drive another amplifier rather than sending to a mixer.

Most sound men will want a Mic level, balanced signal that matches everything else arriving at their desk and if you are connecting via a snake then it will be down balanced XLR connections.

If I don't mic a guitar amp I will run a short lead from the line out of the amp to a DI box and from there to the desk.

A line out is normally a feed from the preamp so is more likely to be post EQ. You would have to check the individual unit's documentation to be sure.[/quote]
Hey someone else from Portsmouth

Does your amp have both line and DI out then?

Did the sound man connect your Line Out to a DI box or run it straight to his desk?

Given the choice between a DI and a Line I would take the former every time. Or mic the amp if there is room.

Edited by Tengu

[quote name='Jigster' post='655219' date='Nov 15 2009, 10:15 AM']okay ta - does any of that go towards explaining why sound guy at my gig last night did a line out connection for my amp? I understand the DI principle but am struggling to see the diff to line out!! :)[/quote]
Line out is unbalanced, which is fine if used to go to a slave power amp that's plugged in to the same AC outlet or power strip as your amp, but can lead to serious ground loop noise when run to a remote device, like a mixer. DI is a balanced send, which eliminates the potential for ground loop noise.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='655467' date='Nov 15 2009, 09:56 PM']Line out is unbalanced, which is fine if used to go to a slave power amp that's plugged in to the same AC outlet or power strip as your amp, but can lead to serious ground loop noise when run to a remote device, like a mixer. DI is a balanced send, which eliminates the potential for ground loop noise.[/quote]

Do amps with DI usually have it post or pre eq?

fatback

[quote name='Tengu' post='655454' date='Nov 15 2009, 09:38 PM']Does your amp have both line and DI out then?

Did the sound man connect your Line Out to a DI box or run it straight to his desk?

Given the choice between a DI and a Line I would take the former every time. Or mic the amp if there is room.[/quote]

Hi yeah amp has both options, and he used the line out - I often think I'd prefer to be mic'd but there generally seem to be some differing opinions out there on whether bass rigs shud be mic'd or di'd