Why become a member? ×

TC Rebelhead vs iAmp 500 comparison

GreeneKing

I took the EA iAmp 500 to practice last night instead of my TC RebelHead 450 along with just the one Aguilar DB112 cab as per usual.

The verdict? Well with the iAmp I suspect I needs 2 cabs to get the enough output available for my band practice.

The gain was up to just past 3 o'clock and the master volume pretty much the same and the o/p limiter light was coming on all the time. The input gain light never clips though, even with 18v Spector and Status basses going in. Has anyone else noticed hard difficult it seems to be to overload the input into these heads?

The head sounded like it was straining to be honest whilst at lower volumes at home it sounds pretty lush. Maybe the limiter introduces some harshness? In the home scenario it sounds a lot less coloured than the RH450 too. I used a range of EQ settings including EQ'ing the low mids up which seemed to help a bit.

Strangely I've heard a few times that the iAmp 800 isn't much if any louder into 4 ohms (these amps will go down to 2 ohms). I'll try two cabs for next practice but the TC RH 450 easily copes with just the one. I suspect it'll be a fine sounding head with 2 cabs but just less powerful than the RH.

Interesting.

Peter

Edited by GreeneKing

I've waffled on about how much I like my iAmp800 over on finnbass probably a bit too much so I wont start here! :)

I've used the amp with just one 4ohm EBS cab before and its been plenty loud enough and I've been more than happy with the results. I've played an outdoor gig with both cabs 'at volume' and the sound was massive. Again very very impressed.

I think your iAmp puts 350w in to 8 Ohms Peter so I'm quite surprised that you're struggling with it. Your band isn't particularly loud by any means and when I watched you a couple of weeks ago the bass was cutting through nicely with the one cab, no drama at all!

[quote name='bigthumb' post='654997' date='Nov 15 2009, 09:25 AM']I've waffled on about how much I like my iAmp800 over on finnbass probably a bit too much so I wont start here! :)

I've used the amp with just one 4ohm EBS cab before and its been plenty loud enough and I've been more than happy with the results. I've played an outdoor gig with both cabs 'at volume' and the sound was massive. Again very very impressed.

I think your iAmp puts 350w in to 8 Ohms Peter so I'm quite surprised that you're struggling with it. Your band isn't particularly loud by any means and when I watched you a couple of weeks ago the bass was cutting through nicely with the one cab, no drama at all![/quote]

Yes I agree Paul. That was with the RH450 though.

I'll try 2 cabs next time and a bit more EQ fiddling.

Peter