Why become a member? ×

fs/ft Custom 6 String (ON HOLD PENDING FORMALITIES)

SimBass

Ok so I have for sale a truly unique bass.
It is a 6 String bass which was made by Alan J. Clay it has a lime body with a gorgeous flamed maple top. It was made in 1996 (as dated by Alan). It was actually a custom mod to a Washburn MB6...but all that remains of the Washburn is the neck.
All the electronics were done by Ian Hancock of [url="http://www.freewebs.com/ebasses/"]E-Basses[/url], who I'm sure Nick Smith (doctor_of_the_bass) can tell you about, I believe there is even a video of Nick on the E-Basses Website.

I got the bass from my old bass tutor in Peterborough and he tells me that the original Washburn was bought for £500 and with the complete new body and electronics it's worth £800-£1000.
I'll be totally honest if has got some scuffs and nicks around the edge to the back of the body but its all superficial and not visible from the front, they're so small they probably aren't even visible in the photo's.
It would be a perfect first 6 string or first move into the custom bass world for someone looking for a beautiful and entirely unique one of a kind instrument.

Other Spec:
24 Fret, 35" scale.
Very Nice 18v active Electronics;
Volume,
Sweep pickup selector,
Sweepable cut/boost (flexible enough to be an on board wah padel if you can get a 3rd hand!)
Tone control with link led (goes red for Bass, progressivly Yellow for mid, Green fro Treble)
Plus a boost switch for a subtle boost before a solo

Anyone is welcome to come and try the bass (I'm in South Lincolnshire)

Because of the superficial marks I'm willing to sell it for [s]£500[/s] [b]£450[/b] or Trade for a similar Price Bass (Preferable a 5 String Fretted...but let me know what you have)
Any questions, or for more pic's let me know.
[attachment=36238:P1010729.JPG][attachment=36240:P1010736.JPG]
[attachment=36241:P1010739.JPG][attachment=36242:P1010740.JPG]
[attachment=36243:P1010727.JPG]

Edited by SimBass

Aha!

Thats a blast from the past! Hi Simeon!

This bass belonged to Jon Bamforth and he had three E Basses built (note I'm not a partner in the business any more due to lack of time, just a willing unpaid helper so this is not an advert for E Basses!). Jon still had this bass at that point and wanted the same electronics, hence the upgrade. Jon was very sadly crippled in an horrific motorcycle accident many years ago and this bass is very lightweight as it had to sit on his lap when playing.

ATB

Nick

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='653201' date='Nov 12 2009, 11:25 PM']Aha!

Thats a blast from the past! Hi Simeon!

This bass belonged to Jon Bamforth and he had three E Basses built (note I'm not a partner in the business any more due to lack of time, just a willing unpaid helper so this is not an advert for E Basses!). Jon still had this bass at that point and wanted the same electronics, hence the upgrade. Jon was very sadly crippled in an horrific motorcycle accident many years ago and this bass is very lightweight as it had to sit on his lap when playing.

ATB

Nick[/quote]
That' the one Nick. I spoke to Jon yesterday to confirm I had the exact right details for the bass, he still has his other two E-Basses (one fretted 6, one fretless 6) along with the rest of his collection of Basses (no where near the size of your collection but substantial non the less.)
The fact that it was designed with seated playing in mind makes great for playing in the studio or practicing (note the front jack socket-that won't get in the way of legs) and also the light weight is a dream when playing stood up (especially compared to my other bass, a Warwick Stream 6 String broad neck fretless)
I can say that Ian Hancock was a great help and did a great job of the electronics...he even did the job of adding the new 2 space battery compartment for me and wired the bass up for 18v to give extra battery life which I find very useful.
*Also forgot to mention that it does come with straplocks

If anyone has any questions then let me know.

Simeon

[quote name='oldslapper' post='657874' date='Nov 18 2009, 10:08 AM']MMMmmmm, nice! If my 5 string Warwick has an outright sale then I'll be v. interested in this.[/quote]
Are you interested in a possible trade with money your way? That is a beautiful Warwick and (as you will see in my profile picture) would be a lovely match for my Streamer LX Fretless (which I'm not selling)
Actually I'll PM you..I have a couple of questions about your Warwick...

Had some interest but still available....PM replied

[quote name='alexg' post='659806' date='Nov 20 2009, 01:05 AM']Hi Simeon

I'd be interested in discussing purchase with you if your bass is still for sale?

I'll PM you.

Alex[/quote]