Why become a member? ×

String gauge?

cm261

Hey, sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I figure it's ok here.

I'm yet to change the strings on my main bass since I bought it (used), but I have no idea what the current strings are. Don't know the make, don't know the gauge. I'd like to replace them with the same strings. The make isn't necessarily a huge issue, but I don't want to go mucking around with the truss rod, so I'm gonna want the same gauge. How would I go about finding out what gauge these strings are? Can this be done with a feeler gauge? I've heard of them for measuring small stuff but I don't know exactly what they can be used for. Its a Cort Artisan A5 if that helps, because while it may be used I don't know if the strings have ever been changed, they might have just been treated well (I wash my hands before playing, for example). Cheers.

Agree with above post mostly... Just either get a Vernier guage, Or just buy a set of Decent -Say D'addario or similar- 45-105 or 40-100 or there-abouts strings. U can do a quick set up pretty easilythe
www.stew-mac.com website has good info re set ups, as does www.activebass.com

Edited by rodl2005

[quote name='cm261' post='652729' date='Nov 12 2009, 04:00 PM']Ok cool, thanks guys, will look into those gauge thingys[/quote]
I've got one of these:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6INCH-150MM-DIGITAL-LCD-CALIPER-MICROMETER-VERNIER-TOOL_W0QQitemZ220508837408QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Measuring_Tools_Levels?hash=item335759d620"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6INCH-150MM-DIGITAL-...=item335759d620[/url]