Why become a member? ×

Fender MIJ neck pocket stamp questions

Rikkers

My MIJ Fender has a stamp in the neck pocket reading "JBD62/L-EX". Serial T 00****.

Okay. The things I know for sure:

L = left-handed, JB = 62 reissue jazz bass, D = Vintage (not sure about the D, I must say). Serial means built in '94-'95.

But the rest (the EX suffix) is clouded in mystery. The one told me it means Export Edition, the other says it means Ex-Trad.

Anyone here know what the EX means?

[quote name='Mickeyboro' post='651683' date='Nov 11 2009, 04:08 PM']Help - a naked foot! :lol:[/quote]

Why help? Afraid itś going to kick? :lol:

[quote name='Musky' post='651475' date='Nov 11 2009, 12:55 PM']The Extrads had a decal on the back of the headstock, so my guess would be that the EX stands for export if yours doesn't have the decal.[/quote]

The site where it's written........or typed......or whatever....... :rolleyes: that absence of the sticker doesn't mean it isn't an Ex-Trad.

I sent the guy of this site a mail but he didn't reply jet. :)

[quote name='Rikkers' post='651727' date='Nov 11 2009, 04:08 PM']The site where it's written........or typed......or whatever....... :rolleyes: that absence of the sticker doesn't mean it isn't an Ex-Trad.

I sent the guy of this site a mail but he didn't reply jet. :)[/quote]

Which site is that?

I don't really know anything about Extrads beyond the few that pop up on ebay - they seem to be some kind of Japanese custom shop effort, and probably weren't intended for export.

[quote name='Rikkers' post='651740' date='Nov 11 2009, 05:20 PM']I'll search...................[/quote]

[url="http://www.xhefriguitars.com/page9.html"]Found it![/url]

[quote]You can tell if you have an EXTRAD a couple of ways. Often they wil have EXTRAD written on the back of the headstock or by the serial number. Some will only have EX on the part numbers located on the neck socket of the body or the heal of the neck. (See above) Many of the mid-1980s models will also have FENDER stamped on the neck plate.[/quote]

Edited by Rikkers

[quote name='Rikkers' post='651821' date='Nov 11 2009, 05:45 PM'][url="http://www.xhefriguitars.com/page9.html"]Found it![/url][/quote]

That site seems pretty categorical about the extrads, so it seems you might have one on your hands. :)

Just one note of caution though. I'm a little wary of the info, due to his assertion that JVs, SQs and some E serial instruments had US parts - in fact only some of the domestic MIJ JV models had US parts, and only the export strats had US pickups. It might be that domestic SQs and E serials were fitted with some US parts, but the exports certainly weren't.

[quote name='Musky' post='652300' date='Nov 12 2009, 10:19 AM']That site seems pretty categorical about the extrads, so it seems you might have one on your hands. :rolleyes:[/quote]

I can't imagine it isn't, due to the quality of the instrument. I can't check the electronics because they were probably changed (with Fender Vintage Noiseless stack coils(great powerful pups!)) by the 1st owner. He did a very poor shielding job. :)

[quote name='Musky' post='652300' date='Nov 12 2009, 10:19 AM']Just one note of caution though. I'm a little wary of the info, due to his assertion that JVs, SQs and some E serial instruments had US parts - in fact only some of the domestic MIJ JV models had US parts, and only the export strats had US pickups. It might be that domestic SQs and E serials were fitted with some US parts, but the exports certainly weren't.[/quote]

It's not one of those series. It has a T serial. :lol:

Edited by Rikkers

• 2 weeks later...