Why become a member? ×

Reeves custom 225 or weber Mywatt400

Anders

I'm continuing my search for the ultimate all tube bass head and got curious about these.
They are both sold by the factory i think (like Matamp)and i can't find a place to try them out.
Reeves i know is only sold from the factory in USA,Mywatt i'm not so sure.

My ideal sound is ampeg svt punch,warmth crossed with some unique sound like Orange,and not too much distortion,i like it when it's breaking up a little from the output tubes but not the Bzzz,farting with lost bottom end like some amps have.If you know what i mean.
[url="http://www.reevesamps.com/custom225.htm"]http://www.reevesamps.com/custom225.htm[/url]
[url="http://www.weber-amps.de/en/index.html"]http://www.weber-amps.de/en/index.html[/url]

Why not get like an old Sound City 200 and get a local (decent) tech to turn it into exactly what you want since all/most of the parts are there for that Hiwatt amp.

Also I believe it's quite hard to get the Hiwatt style amps to distort and they just have headroom for days, but this is only what guitarists tell me.

Or buy my 400+

Cheers

Edited by tayste_2000

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='649484' date='Nov 9 2009, 01:46 PM']Why not get like an old Sound City 200 and get a local (decent) tech to turn it into exactly what you want since all/most of the parts are there for that Hiwatt amp.

Also I believe it's quite hard to get the Hiwatt style amps to distort and they just have headroom for days, but this is only what guitarists tell me.

Or buy my 400+

Cheers[/quote]
Sound city you say?
I've never heard of those.Also if it's going to be a 200w it's got to be delivering 200w+
like the reeves amp seems to according to the review.(250w or something)

The thing is with Mesa/Boogie,i'm allergic to them.I have tried Buster bass200 and Bass 400.I don't like harsh mid sound with the articulate klank from the string hitting the frets,or the bottom end being too compressed only reaching down to 80Hz or something.
I like warm sound,like the sound you easiely get from an SVT,or an Orange with the mid cut a little and the bass knob full on.

I even sold my Matamp gt200 because of the middly sound.I know i could have made them tweak with it but i didn't want to go through the trouble of sending and returning it with instructions or comming over to their shop.
Mainly because i had a buyer offering very good money for it.

[quote name='Anders' post='649567' date='Nov 9 2009, 12:04 PM']Sound city you say?
I've never heard of those.Also if it's going to be a 200w it's got to be delivering 200w+
like the reeves amp seems to according to the review.(250w or something)

The thing is with Mesa/Boogie,i'm allergic to them.I have tried Buster bass200 and Bass 400.I don't like harsh mid sound with the articulate klank from the string hitting the frets,or the bottom end being too compressed only reaching down to 80Hz or something.
I like warm sound,like the sound you easiely get from an SVT,or an Orange with the mid cut a little and the bass knob full on.

I even sold my Matamp gt200 because of the middly sound.I know i could have made them tweak with it but i didn't want to go through the trouble of sending and returning it with instructions or comming over to their shop.
Mainly because i had a buyer offering very good money for it.[/quote]
have you tried flats? also the svt sound you said your after is really mid heavy.

[quote name='umph' post='649729' date='Nov 9 2009, 06:03 PM']have you tried flats? also the svt sound you said your after is really mid heavy.[/quote]
No it's not.
It's insanely bottom heavy compared to anything i have tried.Perhaps you can dial in a sound with plenty of midrange,but compared to the competition Mesa/Boogie,Matamp and so on it's able to deliver TONS more lowend and low end punch.
Flats don't change the sound that much as i'm talking about.
I guess there is only one amp left for my taste and that is SVT PRO II.As the Reeves amp is too expensive and hard to get a even soundsample.

[quote name='Finbar' post='649928' date='Nov 9 2009, 09:23 PM']You couldn't get that sound from the GT200? I found it really versatile! And the distortion doesn't descend into fizzy mush either. It breaks up just right when you get your head round the controls. Maybe valve amps aren't you really?[/quote]
The Matamp was quite close actually.It's just that i found it to be too middly,harsh in the midrange and the bass was too high up in the frequencies.With 2 ECC81's and 1 ECC83,the general output and break up was quite good.
I could go over to Matamp and order one and tweak it perhaps to what i want but that is too much trouble i'm affraid.I live in Sweden.

Edited by Anders

[quote name='Anders' post='649936' date='Nov 9 2009, 06:28 PM']No it's not.
It's insanely bottom heavy compared to anything i have tried.Perhaps you can dial in a sound with plenty of midrange,but compared to the competition Mesa/Boogie,Matamp and so on it's able to deliver TONS more lowend and low end punch.
Flats don't change the sound that much as i'm talking about.
I guess there is only one amp left for my taste and that is SVT PRO II.As the Reeves amp is too expensive and hard to get a even soundsample.[/quote]
:) sounds to me like valve amps aren't your thing!

[quote name='henry norton' post='650010' date='Nov 9 2009, 10:55 PM']Hmmm, what about a Trace Quadra or Hexa? Mind you, the term rocking horse s##t comes to mind when I think of these amps... :)[/quote]
I've thought about those too.The Trace Elliot V8 maybe?

[quote name='umph' post='650035' date='Nov 9 2009, 11:16 PM']:) sounds to me like valve amps aren't your thing![/quote]
Oh yes it is.
That sound,or feeling when the sound comes from infront of the speakers and not from somewhere inside the cabinet,and it's transparent big,round and punchy at the same time.Can't be replaced by anything else.But apparently there is very different sound in different makes.

[quote name='straightedge79' post='650102' date='Nov 10 2009, 12:07 AM']Aah, so it was like that??? :)[/quote]
Yes it was.Hi there!
Sorry.
To be frank,i could have bothered to just ship it over to them and let them tweak it.But,maybe they would missunderstand some info or something.Then it's the shipping,twice.Getting mangled by UPS.Or me getting over there with the amp but that's way too expensive.

[quote name='Anders' post='650126' date='Nov 9 2009, 10:26 PM']Yes it was.Hi there!
Sorry.
To be frank,i could have bothered to just ship it over to them and let them tweak it.But,maybe they would missunderstand some info or something.Then it's the shipping,twice.Getting mangled by UPS.Or me getting over there with the amp but that's way too expensive.[/quote]

And it was based on the same things that i bought it from you instead of having "my own" amp shipped.

I´m probably even more happy than you are, awesome amp!

[quote name='straightedge79' post='650457' date='Nov 10 2009, 12:49 PM']And it was based on the same things that i bought it from you instead of having "my own" amp shipped.

I´m probably even more happy than you are, awesome amp![/quote]
I'm glad you are.I'm still not sure what to get instead.
Have fun!

[quote name='Anders' post='650100' date='Nov 9 2009, 10:04 PM']I've thought about those too.The Trace Elliot V8 maybe?[/quote]
The v series are supposed to be good for grindy sounds, the reason I suggested a Quadra or Hexa is because they have a more 'modern' front end in the form of a GP12 pre amp so should be easier to get this elusive sound you're looking for. Mind you, I'd have a V8 even if it just sat unused in my living room :) .

The Mywatt 400 is, as far as i understand, simply a Hiwatt 400 clone. I also understand that Matamp make Hiwatt's custom line now. It is also commonly thought that Hiwatt's have a fair bit of clean headroom, at the consequential, sacrafice of warmth of character, or drive - the main reason i'd get a valve amp! its your call, but i can't imagine there wouldn't have been anything Matamp couldn't have tweaked to voice the amp in the way you so desire.

[quote name='henry norton' post='650681' date='Nov 10 2009, 05:37 PM']The v series are supposed to be good for grindy sounds, the reason I suggested a Quadra or Hexa is because they have a more 'modern' front end in the form of a GP12 pre amp so should be easier to get this elusive sound you're looking for. Mind you, I'd have a V8 even if it just sat unused in my living room :) .[/quote]
I've heard that they are rare amps.I seem to remember when they were new,after just a little while on the market at the time,they were the concsidered very exclusive.
I've talked to Max at Mywatt and read some reviews.It seems like the 400 isn't so warm-sounding.

[quote name='TheButler' post='650712' date='Nov 10 2009, 06:09 PM']The Mywatt 400 is, as far as i understand, simply a Hiwatt 400 clone. I also understand that Matamp make Hiwatt's custom line now. It is also commonly thought that Hiwatt's have a fair bit of clean headroom, at the consequential, sacrafice of warmth of character, or drive - the main reason i'd get a valve amp! its your call, but i can't imagine there wouldn't have been anything Matamp couldn't have tweaked to voice the amp in the way you so desire.[/quote]
I think you've got a point there about the headroom compromise.
Maybe Matamp could have tweaked it to my liking but i just thought it would be easier to get a sound closer to what i want out of the box,so to speak.

[quote name='Anders' post='650738' date='Nov 10 2009, 03:25 PM']I think you've got a point there about the headroom compromise.
Maybe Matamp could have tweaked it to my liking but i just thought it would be easier to get a sound closer to what i want out of the box,so to speak.[/quote]

Fair enough, i suppose being overseas as well must brought into consideration. I think i'm just jealous because i badly want a Matamp!

[quote name='TheButler' post='650751' date='Nov 10 2009, 05:33 PM']Fair enough, i suppose being overseas as well must brought into consideration. I think i'm just jealous because i badly want a Matamp![/quote]
If i were you i would probarbly find an excuse to go down there and try them out.(While checking out a soccergame or something :) )