Why become a member? ×

how much of a distorted bass player are you.

tribus

[quote name='WalMan' post='649285' date='Nov 8 2009, 11:51 PM']Out and out distortion probably not, but a little bit of grit for rocky stuff is what I am chasing with the option for a bit of extra boost on occasion. Aiming at the gritty sound Dave Meros gets with Spocks Beard and the rocky bass sound on the new Neal Morse triple live CD that has been getting a blasting in the car in recent days.

Sort of have it with the BOD and the SVT Grit patch that Ped wrote and posted on the Line6 sharing section, but am looking to cut down the gear I am lugging and picked up a Blackstar HT Dual this afternoon (the DHA Dual EQ I borrowed from Johnnylager last week worked really well as well, but this afternoon was a mix of equal helpings of retail therapy, a good price and a pretty good version of what I am after when I tried it out). We shall see how it pans out.[/quote]

Get some other valves (and some smaller fingers) and get swapping, the EHX is an improvement on the stock, but the Mullard I have was a notch above that.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='649288' date='Nov 8 2009, 11:56 PM']Get some other valves (and some smaller fingers) and get swapping, the EHX is an improvement on the stock, but the Mullard I have was a notch above that.[/quote]
May have to look into that. Last nights rehearsal was a game of two halves with the Blackstar. Got close to what I was after, but not completely convinced at the mo. Perhaps its just that it's designed for guitar not bass, which of course I knew, but......

DistortÖhead here :). MXR M80: sounds grindy really nice with new or alcohol washed strings.This unit has great dynamics,in my opinion.
Bad monkey :the stoner things:great tone.Not properly a substitute of a fulltone bassdive,but lets you stay in the center of the mix.Nice mids.Maybe it needs a blend.

M80+Bad Monkey:used to fight the law destroyng the db limits :rolleyes:).However:these produce really nice nice grind bass sound.It needs a little boost on the lows,but the distortion tone is awesome.

May want to try a Shin ei FY2 clone