Why become a member? ×

peavey firebass 700 and 210s

BassBen

Hi Guys,

Can 2 2x10tvx’s handle the 700watts my peavey fire bass head pushes out?

Currently running a Trace Elliot 4x10 300 watts @ 8 ohm. My head runs that at 275watts. Not looking for it to be louder just thought maybe two together would do the same job but be easier to move?

Cheers,

Ben

Yes, it's generally sensible to have a head that can offer more power than your speakers are rated for - it's rare that OVER powering kills speakers, provided that you listen carefully. More often than not, speakers are damaged by DC clipping caused by amp heads being driven too hard.

It should be fine!

The Firebass is a beast, you could blow up those cabs with it fairly easily, but they'll make horrible noise first. Just don't turn it up that far.

Also, don't turn off the DDT protection, it will stop the aforementioned DC clipping blowing up your tweeters. Over powering will kill your woofers.

Easy to move it not the first thing that springs to mind with that head and cab though.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='641258' date='Oct 30 2009, 04:14 PM']The Firebass is a beast, you could blow up those cabs with it fairly easily, but they'll make horrible noise first. Just don't turn it up that far.

Also, don't turn off the DDT protection, it will stop the aforementioned DC clipping blowing up your tweeters. Over powering will kill your woofers.

Easy to move it not the first thing that springs to mind with that head and cab though.[/quote]

Thanks for the input guys.

Yea the head is very heavy. I find it very hard to pick the Trace Elliot up to go up the stairs. I thought the two peaveys would be lighter (carry on there own obviously). I do like alot of the light weight gear that’s out at the moment but I just can’t afford it.

Cheers,

I run a Hartke LH1000 into a pair of these cabs which is a similar situation to what you're planning, in terms of having spare amplifier horsepower. As others have said in here: if it starts sounding bad, turn it down until it stops sounding bad :)

Just thought I would add that you need to tread a little carefully if you're buying these second hand, as I did, because I think I'm right in saying that all but the latest of them were only offered in 4 ohm flavour. I don't know your head's specification, but you'd need to check that it can cope! Also, don't buy these thinking they are super- light either: they are over 30 kilos each.

Having said all of that, I think they make a pretty decent sound, and my setup has just survived a 10 hour, 9 band charity gig, with all the other bands using my bass rig at trouser flapping levels :rolleyes:

hiho,I run 2 Peavey TX 2x10 cabs at 4 ohm each through a marshall mb450 .
Yes they are heavy but they are bullet proof.Typical Peavey,built to last in the harsh world of gigging.
The TX cabs have so much bottom that a 15 is not needed and being 2x10 they make a versitile rig,ie one cab or two depending on the size of gig and easier to lug although it means an extra run or a pair of helping hands if you have considerate band members.
There is the added bonus if one does die you have the other generally still working,slight decrease in volume but your still up and running.