Why become a member? ×

Delay pedals - MIDI/CV etc

ritch

Hi,

Does anybody have any knowledge of using delay pedals and midi/cv inputs together?

Ideally I would like to take a midi cable out of my MPC1000 and use it to set the timing on a delay pedal. Now the only delay pedals I can find with MIDI ins are the Eventide/TRex/TC Electronics ones, which are a good wodge of money.

Could I take an audio output from one of the aux's on my MPC (assign a snare or something to it) and plug it into the tap tempo on something like a DD5/7? Would that be a useable signal to trigger the expression input? I'm assuming an "expression" input is different to a CV input (like you'd find on a moogerfooger)?

Can anybody suggest anything? I would prefer something small and single effect oriented, rather than a rack mount or multi.

Thanks

Edited by ritch

I use an Adrenalinn. £180 s/c or so and does so much more than delay. My DnB band are all midi synced and it does some amazing things!

[url="http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/products/adrenalinn3/adrenalinn3.shtml"]Adrenalinn[/url]

[url="http://www.myspace.com/thebrokendoor"]My DnB act[/url]

Dan

[quote name='ritch' post='637477' date='Oct 26 2009, 11:00 PM']Could I take an audio output from one of the aux's on my MPC (assign a snare or something to it) and plug it into the tap tempo on something like a DD6? Would that be a useable signal to trigger the expression input? I'm assuming an "expression" input is different to a CV input (like you'd find on a moogerfooger)?[/quote]

It might well work, but I have never tried it to be honest.

The Roland TR-606 drum machine used the toms for the trigger outs.
I've used the trigger outs of the 606 to trigger the lfo clock on the Korg MS-20 synth, and also to clock the Arpegiator of a Roland SH-101 synth.
Other drum machines assigned the rim shot for the trigger out as it had a more defined initial attack.
I'm not sure what the tap tempo input's of stomp boxs's tend to expect, or accept.

As I say though, it would definately work for a C.V/Gate synth in terms of clocking and/or triggering and I can't imagine pedals being too different.

[quote name='Wud' post='638429' date='Oct 27 2009, 08:20 PM']It might well work, but I have never tried it to be honest.

The Roland TR-606 drum machine used the toms for the trigger outs.
I've used the trigger outs of the 606 to trigger the lfo clock on the Korg MS-20 synth, and also to clock the Arpegiator of a Roland SH-101 synth.
Other drum machines assigned the rim shot for the trigger out as it had a more defined initial attack.
I'm not sure what the tap tempo input's of stomp boxs's tend to expect, or accept.

As I say though, it would definately work for a C.V/Gate synth in terms of clocking and/or triggering and I can't imagine pedals being too different.[/quote]

That's good to know. I'll assign a nice tight sound like a rim shot to it to try it.

This is going to be life changing if it works! :)

Rich

i think the tap tempo for a dd5/7 will work on a switch basis rather than as a cv input - you could probably find this out by checking out the manual as see what they recommend for an external footswitch and then see how that switch works. If you're good you could easily make a circuit that could make a cv trigger a switch - should just be a single relay plus a few resistors to cut out noise.