Why become a member? ×

Weird Noise Problem

Pete Academy

I played a couple of gigs in Scotland on Friday and Saturday. I'm now using a Markbass LMK head with my Ashdown 4 x 8" and 1 x 15" cabs. Simple setup - Roscoe SKB5 through Boss TU2 into amp. Premium cables. Batteries fine in bass.

I was getting a high-pitched noise through the rig. I tried going straight into the amp and bypassing the tuner, but it was still there. It's not present when there's nothing plugged in, and it goes when the bass is turned down. The ground lift switch made no difference.

I'm going to take the amp and bass into our shop and try them through different cabs.

Any suggestions in the meantime?

If your gear is ok then it sounds like it might be picking up something. Perhaps something generated by someone else's equipment close by.

Sometimes you can use the bass like a direction-finding attenna - turn it around to see if the noise is stronger when you're facing one particular direction then move around to see if you can locate where the noise is loudest. It can also be the cables - check where they are running and move them away from other equipment (especially power supplies). Just moving the cables while you can hear the noise will sometimes narrow it down.

Has anyone else in the band started using new equipment lately ?

[quote name='BOD2' post='636286' date='Oct 25 2009, 05:08 PM']If your gear is ok then it sounds like it might be picking up something. Perhaps something generated by someone else's equipment close by.

Sometimes you can use the bass like a direction-finding attenna - turn it around to see if the noise is stronger when you're facing one particular direction then move around to see if you can locate where the noise is loudest. It can also be the cables - check where they are running and move them away from other equipment (especially power supplies). Just moving the cables while you can hear the noise will sometimes narrow it down.

Has anyone else in the band started using new equipment lately ?[/quote]

I will try those things. Yeah, come to think of it, there is some new equipment.

Cheers, Pete

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='636279' date='Oct 25 2009, 04:58 PM']I played a couple of gigs in Scotland on Friday and Saturday. I'm now using a Markbass LMK head with my Ashdown 4 x 8" and 1 x 15" cabs. Simple setup - Roscoe SKB5 through Boss TU2 into amp. Premium cables. Batteries fine in bass.

I was getting a high-pitched noise through the rig. I tried going straight into the amp and bypassing the tuner, but it was still there. It's not present when there's nothing plugged in, and it goes when the bass is turned down. The ground lift switch made no difference.

I'm going to take the amp and bass into our shop and try them through different cabs.

Any suggestions in the meantime?[/quote]

Hi Pete,

I've had a thought - the amp is probably 'complaining' because you are playing too many notes & Fagen 'Mu major' patterns through it :rolleyes: !

I never had a problem playing 'dum - de - dum - de - dum' through it, apart from it falling asleep through boredom :lol: !

Only joking me owd fruit - hope you've got it sorted, as I'm just about to trade your 12 month guarantee for an F1

All the best,

dodger :) x x

Edited by dodgnofski

[quote name='dodgnofski' post='638739' date='Oct 28 2009, 08:02 AM']Hi Pete,

I've had a thought - the amp is probably 'complaining' because you are playing too many notes & Fagen 'Mu major' patterns through it :lol: !

I never had a problem playing 'dum - de - dum - de - dum' through it, apart from it falling asleep through boredom :lol: !

Only joking me owd fruit - hope you've got it sorted, as I'm just about to trade your 12 month guarantee for an F1

All the best,

dodger :rolleyes: x x[/quote]

You could be right. :)

Now you've got me thinking about those Aguilar cabs. :lol: