Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Pickups/switching problem (connections?)

eubassix

OK - I'm attaching some photos here (of the diagram of what I've tried and am continuing trying to do... plus the current wiring connections) in the hope that someone will be able to advise as to what's wrong / needed.

Bass was acquired as a project: it had (has) 3x J pickups linked - originally - to a single Volume (only)! Strange-but-true. PLayed OK, but sound/options were so limited (ie. one-only!).
SO ... I decided, using the attached SD diagram, to add a tone pot + 3x mini-switches (of the correct 'spdt' specification) so that (I thought) 1/2/3 pckups could be on or off, and tone varied. Good idea ?!?

Despite working very carefully (the mini toggles are sods to work with!) following the diagram, I now have the following: the bass plays and the volume still works. But the tone (which has zero effect when turned right down/off) seems to gradually reduce the volume and introduce hum when increased; the mini togles do nothing (well, they are 'on' in both directions).

Help !! ?? !!!

A bit hard to be sure from your pics - the wiring diagram makes perfect sense to me, so assuming all connections are in the right place it should work.

Are you sure everything is attached ok ? It looks like one line of the switches is lacking a connection, which I thought was to earth, but it's hard to spot exactly what's going on the pics.

No sign of it in the pics, but if there's hum then it's often because the jack has been wired back to front.

If in doubt strip it all off and start again - but be careful when soldering to pots as the heat can stop them working if you overdo it.

The centre contact on a mini toggle should be connected to the "hot" wire from a pickup.

One side of each mini toggle should be connected to a wire which eventually goes to the volume control.

The other side of each mini toggle should be connected to a wire that goes to ground.

When you switch the toggle one way the centre contact (pickup) connects to the volume control (the pickup is ON) when you switch the toggle the other way the centre contact (pickup) connectes to ground (the pickup is OFF). That's all the toggle switches do.

It looks like you might be missing the wire that connects the toggle switches to the side pin on the volume pot (there should be two wires connected to this point - one to the switches and the other to the tone pot).

Also, note that the third pin on the volume pot is soldered to the shell of the volume pot - this pin is grounded. It's not immediately obvious from the wiring diagram but is common practice in guitar wiring. Bend it back until it touches the pot shell then solder it there.

Make sure that only one leg of the tone capacitor touches the back of the tone pot. The one that's attached to the centre pin of the pot must not touch the pot shell - use some insulating tape to prevent this from happening.