Why become a member? ×

The current 3

martthebass

Well, it's probably about a year since I posted my 3. Due to the long standing agreement with 'er indoors I stick to 3 basses and 3 basses only. Sadly this means my peferred line up of 1 fretted 4, 1 fretted 4 spare, a fretless 4 and a 5er can't be achieved. Consequently I tend to swap about a bit - also this tends to accelerate if gigs are low in frequency and this year has been a POOR year in that respect.
So the current set:

Up first is my trusty Ray 4H, a 2005 jobbie with a maple FB, nice bit of flame in the neck and still in good nick. This doesn't get used as much as I'd like but I've had a Musicman in the fold for all but 1 year in the last 20 so she gets to stay. One of the reasons it doesn't get used so much is a bloody recurrent neck problem which seems to be sensitive to basses more than about 8.5lb so I limit its use to shorter gigs and jam nights. Because of this problem I started the hunt for something a bit lighter early this year and Rich (Out to Play J) was parting with his Status Streamline so in it came. It saddened me to have to part with a pristine Ray5 to get this but I haven't regretted it. This bass basically plays itself and it's never hard to get the right sound for any musical setting. I can even put up with the strange looks at jam nights.

Last up is my latest acquisition, a 2008 Overwater Perception Deluxe Fretless. I'd been on the look out for a Jazz type fretless for a month or so on BC (but nothing came up) when I saw this on EBay. I don't usually do the bay but I took a punt on this and so far haven't been disappointed. It still needs a bit of a tweak to be set up to my liking but the sound is very natural and the pre has plenty of sounds in it without getting too complicated.

Anyway I'm hoping these 3 are going to hang around for a while because I've run out of ideas for new stuff, tho a Streamline 5 would be nice and maybe a nicely aged Fender Jazz (preferably early 70's) and a................

Edited by martthebass

Cheers Rich,

I think it would take something special to make me swap out the Streamline - maybe a Stealth?

I have thought of moving the MM out but it'd probably be for another MM - I don't feel comfortable unless I've got one to fall back on.

The Overwater is still being 'bedded in'. Having never played one before I took the EBay risk I've been pleasantly surprised. Reminds me a bit of a Shuker for some reason. For me the positives are playability, sounds, weight (about the same as the Streamline) and construction. If I was being niggly I don't like the satin finish much - a nice Status type poly gloss would look better with these nicely figured woods.

I know what you mean with the Streamline, mate. It's one of those instruments where it's very hard to find something that feels or plays better. Mine's going nowhere!

I'm in the same place as you are with the Overwater. In my case, it's the ACG. It's a lovely bass to play & the crftsmanship is astounding, but I haven't found a sound I'm totally happy with yet. So the jury's still out on this one, too.