Why become a member? ×

Sterling by Musicman Ray 34

OutToPlayJazz

Hi guys,

got an opportunity to go try about 15 instruments last weekend, including MM Stingrays,2 SB14's, and 3 ray's.

Went there just to make myself an idea which instrument would fit me the best when I've saved enough for a "real" MM, a Mayones or sthg nice...and just came back home with a natural ray34! :)

This might have been the lucky one, 'cause none of the other Sterling by MM in the shop could compete, and even the new original MM's were not playing as nice ( only the MM bongo felt really so good, and had more sound abilities, but costed 3 times more :rolleyes: ).

I've to say on top of that that the two other ray's felt really rough on the neck, with not such a sparkling sound ( nice soulful growl, though...)
Maybe it has to do with the fingerboard ( only the natural had a maple neck and fingerboard )?

So there's definitely something about the finish that seems not so constant...But when you get a nice one it's so difficult to put it back on the stand :lol: !

Congrats on your new purchase, LeWynX. Always seems to be the way with mass produced instruments. You sometimes seem to hit lucky on one, no matter whether it's the cheap or expensive variant. I had the same experience with my black Ray 34 - All the "real" Stingrays I played at the time seemed inferior in sound & playability. Now I've hit lucky with a nine year old Stingray piezo, but that's another story!

Show us some pics of it... :)

• 3 weeks later...

Here it is then :

OK, let's first show that nice fluffy branded gigbag, since it is part of the package and kinda comforts you for the disappointment of not getting a hard case with it ( who'd complain for that price anyway? :) ).

[attachment=38536:sterling_ray34_004.jpg]

And here comes the main dish :

[attachment=38530:sterling_ray34_009.jpg]

[attachment=38531:sterling_ray34_010.jpg]

[attachment=38533:sterling_ray34_011.jpg]

[attachment=38532:sterling_ray34_013.jpg]

[attachment=38534:sterling_ray34_014.jpg]

[attachment=38535:sterling_ray34_015.jpg]

[attachment=38538:sterling_ray34_018.jpg]

Edited by LeWynX

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='LeWynX' post='688622' date='Dec 18 2009, 06:39 PM']Here it is then :

OK, let's first show that nice fluffy branded gigbag, since it is part of the package and kinda comforts you for the disappointment of not getting a hard case with it ( who'd complain for that price anyway? :) ).[/quote]

That's a stunning bass you have there, mate! Love the quality piece of ash body as well. Definitely not a budget bass by any means, that one!

• 8 months later...

Had mine for a few weeks now and have gigged it once and rehearsed with it:

Pros: The feel (slightly less chunky than a SR4), the sound (warm with bite, and no quiet G), the playability (after a home set-up, it's really smooth), the build quality (think Lakland Skyline). Plus the worry of not having a £1200 bass to look after.

Cons: Paintwork isn't the best (picking up scratches fast), hardware looks a little on the cheap side, no hard case.

But all in all, happy with my purchase and want to gig with it loads.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I bought one of these last month - the Ltd Edition for 2011 only model, in white, with black scratchplate. Annoyingly, did my wrist in a couple of days later, so not really had a chance to properly put it through the motions, but my first impressions are it is very good indeed. Just itching to give it a go with the band. Will add my findings, once they`ve been found!