Why become a member? ×

WD Jazz Bass Neck Maple

I'm replacing the WD neck that I currently have on my Marcus Miller Jazz. I'll admit that I did have a few issues with the neck, mainly the thickness of the heel which mean that the strings were miles away from the pickups, but someone with more skill and patience than I could take a few millimetres off to get the strings down to a more managable height. That's thickness of the heel from fingerboard down, not width, by the way.

As the neck has been on the Marcus Miller, it has been drilled for a 3 bolt neck plate, not the standard 4 bolt. However, it should be easy enough to fill the third hole and drill 2 more to make it a normal fit.

I've no pictures until I can get at my girlfriend's camera tonight, but here's a link to the WD site which is where I bought it from in June: [url="http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/product/BASS_NECK_MAPLE_BMA"]Maple Jazz Neck[/url]

The review on there is one I left, although I should point out that on further inspection, the heel of the neck isn't quite as squared off as I thought, and fitting was fairly easy.

I paid £170 in June but as I'm looking to get rid of it quite quickly, how does £70 sound? It is a nice, fast neck and the sharp edges to the fingerboard I mentioned in the review on the WD site have been nicely worn in.

Pictures will be up from tomorrow.

Cheers

Jono

EDIT: Should also point out that the headstock has been drilled for a string retainer on the front and Hipshot HB-2 60s style machine heads on the back

Edited by Jono Bolton

Picture time!

[attachment=34496:Picture_008.jpg]

[attachment=34497:Picture_009.jpg]

[attachment=34498:Picture_010.jpg]

[attachment=34499:Picture_011.jpg]

[attachment=34500:Picture_012.jpg]

If you look closely, you can see a few dings from where I tried taking the tuner bushings out. After that I decided to push the rest through from the back rather than trying to lever them out from the front :)

[attachment=34501:Picture_013.jpg]

[attachment=34503:Picture_016.jpg]

[attachment=34504:Picture_018.jpg]

This is a failed attempt to give a close up shot of the grain, but you get the idea. It is a nice grain.

[attachment=34502:Picture_015.jpg]

Edited by Jono Bolton

hey, i have a jazz body curently with a p neck which i would like to replace with a maple jazz such as this. i like the extra fret on the wd stuff but am concerned about the thickness issue. how thick is the neck at the heel? either total thickness, or fretboard thickness (the extended bit) and the bit that fits in the pocket seperately?

i've had 3 necks on this already and just want to get it right!
cheers,
rich

• 2 weeks later...