Why become a member? ×

Advice on learning new material

thunderbird13

[quote name='bumnote' post='625816' date='Oct 14 2009, 11:04 AM']Some years ago i was playing in a band and we were trying to learn I think it was a doobie brothers tune although I cant for the life of me remember which one.
There was a stop and a drum fill where the drummer went round the toms. we couldnt get the re start right and we said to the drummer, John you are putting in 1 fill too many round the toms, the drummer on the record does 1 less than you do.
His response
Perhaps Ive got more tom toms than he has[/quote]

LOL!

Mine is generally when the guitarist says "there are this many beats for one of this riff" and then counts it out, then I write a beat to that count, then we realise that he counted wrong and I have to add in or take out beats.

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='625876' date='Oct 14 2009, 12:02 PM']Thanks for the advive guys on reflection I think I see where my problem is. Due ot the nature of the music its flexible so although I might learn something as 16 bars during rehearsal it might extend to 20 bars and so I'm getting confused between sticking to what I have learnt at home and what I'm hearing in rehearsal. I'm going to agree some cues with the rest of them and then then write them down and use them as markers for when to change.
Anyway I've just had an email from the guitarist saying that he thinks its going really well , I hope thats not the dreaded vote of confidence !!![/quote]

Well, that explains it! If the structures are flexible then you're going to need:
1. cues to transition from one section to the next;
2. play with your ears open and watch for the changes.

[quote name='The Funk' post='625902' date='Oct 14 2009, 12:33 PM']Well, that explains it! If the structures are flexible then you're going to need:
1. cues to transition from one section to the next;
2. play with your ears open and watch for the changes.[/quote]
3. Major eye contact with drummer, lots of frantic nods, winks and grimaces.
4. Hand-signalling from the frontmen
5. 'Rendezvous' parts for if it all goes horribly wrong - e.g. "If we're lost, singer raises both arms and counts four, everyone drop out on the next "1", a full bar of drum fill and everyone back into the verse part together". And practice this too.

Edited by skankdelvar