Why become a member? ×

Bassist not interested?!

The_D

[quote name='farmer61' post='624858' date='Oct 13 2009, 12:09 PM']+1 but goes for all venues IMO[/quote]

+ It's 'cos it's all about being[b] entertaining[/b] and not necessarily fabulously proficient on your instrument though you [i]can[/i] do both ...
People like to herd and audiences are no exception. If there's 20 people having a good time the instinct is to join in.

So .. if the band are having a good time, so will the audience (in most normal, pub, drinking, covers band type gigs)
If the band is The Haughty, Earnest and Worthy Band, the audience will probably be elsewhere enjoying a band enjoying themselves on stage and showing it.

The best bands I've seen/been in in this type of gig go out with a very obvious "we're going to have a great time. You can join in if you like" approach..

It was suggested that I attempt some backing vox to try and bring me out my shell. Not entirely convinced I can do it but will set up a mic at practice so I can give it a go.

Its all well and good attempting it in my living room but put me on the spot and its sink or swim. Nothing to lose after all it is just practice.

[quote name='The_D' post='624976' date='Oct 13 2009, 02:03 PM']It was suggested that I attempt some backing vox to try and bring me out my shell. Not entirely convinced I can do it but will set up a mic at practice so I can give it a go.

Its all well and good attempting it in my living room but put me on the spot and its sink or swim. Nothing to lose after all it is just practice.[/quote]

Just make sure your vocals are right - ie they are more important than your bass at that point. I know that's difficult for a bass player to agree with but the general public will hear bad (and good) vocals every time but won't notice bass unless it's [b]really[/b] bad ..

Sort out your monitoring so you can clearly hear yourself and the stuff you are supposed to be singing harmony against.

When you are singing keep your head up and look at the back wall above the heads of the crowd.
Don't try to sing and look at your frets or shoes at the same time 'cos it's just not practical and you'll end up singing off mic ...

Simplify the bass part under the vox to it's absolute minimum whilst you get the hang of it, then gradually bring any complexity back in, if there is any :)~

Practice all of this in the rehearsal studio - including the staring at the back wall when singing ... You want to make your errors and develop your skill in private, not in public.

BV's are really good at enhancing a band's sound, much more than guitar solos. Everyone should recognise that and give you enough rehearsal time time to get it right.

[quote name='The_D' post='624976' date='Oct 13 2009, 02:03 PM']It was suggested that I attempt some backing vox to try and bring me out my shell. Not entirely convinced I can do it but will set up a mic at practice so I can give it a go.

Its all well and good attempting it in my living room but put me on the spot and its sink or swim. Nothing to lose after all it is just practice.[/quote]

Sounds like a confidence thing to me. Try having some internal banter, say with the drummer to bring you out a bit.

In quiter gigs I'll try and latch onto anyone who's a bit vocal and try and have a laugh with them, if people see the band are open to banter then people join in and cut you some slack.

My band were once told that we sound great but didn't look like a band (which I sort of understand as our singer and guitarist don't engagae with the audience or the rest of the band)

[quote name='farmer61' post='625006' date='Oct 13 2009, 02:22 PM']Sounds like a confidence thing to me. Try having some internal banter, say with the drummer to bring you out a bit.

In quiter gigs I'll try and latch onto anyone who's a bit vocal and try and have a laugh with them, if people see the band are open to banter then people join in and cut you some slack.

My band were once told that we sound great but didn't look like a band (which I sort of understand as our singer and guitarist don't engagae with the audience or the rest of the band)[/quote]

Well that is an addon to having the mic there. Originally they suggested just having the mic to add to the banter but I wasnt keen on it being there just to talk sh*t.

I have been meaning to add some b/v's but couldnt really get myself motivated enough in my house. If the mic's there at practice then I will feel more motivated/forced (?) into it.

I personally feel I can carry a tune but it always fell apart when playing bass. Its a damn site easier with guitar as there isnt as much to concentrate on while strumming.

Got practice on thursday so will see what transpires then.

Maybe this picky agent will be the kick up my ass I needed.

[quote name='farmer61' post='624858' date='Oct 13 2009, 12:09 PM']+1 but goes for all venues IMO[/quote]

I think I was meaning more that all bands and venues are different, so Pink Floyd at earls court wont look the same as the quo at BICC, and was it Bernard Butler who coined the phrase shoe gazing?

Similarly playing to an audience of pensioners doesnt quite require the guitar solo played on the back.

My own point of view is that you use every possible means to entertain the audience you can, music, clothes, lights, movement, presentation, professionalism.

To the OP, as someone else has said, try to be more confident, Im sure you are better than you think. Ive been playing a long time, and I wouldnt win any prizes. The audience generally doesnt notice if you drop one, it depends how you behave if you do. We always have a joke in my band that probably the first tune any of us learned 50 years ago was apache by the shadows, and if we play it now, we still sometimes make a mistake usually because we are not concentrating.

After a very long time, I started singing, Im not very good, but I try my hardest and i enjoy it. The audience hasent thrown anything yet.

Try to always face your audience, find a friendly face in the crowd, and smile at them. You dont have to do back flips. Concentration usually looks like you are getting into it- enjoying it.

Good luck

Normally I try to look like I'm enjoying it, even when I'm not but we did a charity gig recently, a 20 min thing, and our guitarist kept turning himself to ear bleeding levels and drowning out the drums. I had a face on.

Band after us (classic rock covers, frontman in a stonewashed demin jacket w/mullet) says "you lot look like you were just going through the motions....".

Cheers!

They were crap. And too loud. :)

[quote name='The_D' post='625047' date='Oct 13 2009, 02:46 PM']Well that is an addon to having the mic there. Originally they suggested just having the mic to add to the banter but I wasnt keen on it being there just to talk sh*t.[/quote]

It's funny what you probably term as talking sh*t, I count as probably an important bit of the gig. I talk sh*t all gig and try and get some laughs in the audience, I'm an average bassist at best but can make up for my shortfalls by generating a bit of banter with the audience. People come to most venues I play (pubs) for a good night out, bit of a laugh and a sing and jump around. They don't come to hear me play Hysteria note perfect (thank goodness!).

We all get knockbacks, I still haven't got over one particular gig, I wanted to go back there to gig for free just so show 'em we were good (got out voted 4 to 1).

Edited by farmer61

[quote name='bumnote' post='625181' date='Oct 13 2009, 04:32 PM']We always have a joke in my band that probably the first tune any of us learned 50 years ago was apache by the shadows, and if we play it now, we still sometimes make a mistake usually because we are not concentrating.[/quote]

So this isnt you guys :)

[quote name='The_D' post='625388' date='Oct 13 2009, 07:32 PM']

So this isnt you guys :)[/quote]

Bruce Welch said that that was the tune that sold a million red guitars.

That is absolutely classic, no way could we play with those indian maids around, our pace makers would go off the clock

That clip has been sent of to the local shadows club who will no doubt enjoy it.

[quote name='Fitz666' post='625525' date='Oct 13 2009, 10:01 PM']ROFL, just checked your myspazz and realise I know your drummer...in the same bike club and live next door to his work[/quote]

Nice, will let him know. He's a bit mental eh?!

Bikes and Tally and hes a happy bunny :)

[quote name='bumnote' post='625414' date='Oct 13 2009, 08:04 PM']Bruce Welch said that that was the tune that sold a million red guitars.

That is absolutely classic, no way could we play with those indian maids around, our pace makers would go off the clock

That clip has been sent of to the local shadows club who will no doubt enjoy it.[/quote]

I find myself doing the keyboardist hip dance at practice sometimes for a laugh. Think that would look interesting enough for this promoter?