Why become a member? ×

Big Foot Entgineering OCTOPUSS

wesfinn

Hey all just to give everyone a heads up. theres a new company just started up in sussex by my friend. his website is bigfootengineering.com.

His first pedal he is releasing will be the octopuss. I'm should be road testing this for him in the next few weeks.

its the worlds first powerless (no batterys or p/s required!) octave up pedal, to use it you need to have it after a decent distortion pedal. sounds quite exciting so ill keep you all posted on how it sounds!

[quote name='iamapirate' post='623566' date='Oct 11 2009, 10:28 PM']I'm presuming it takes the hot signal from the OD and puts it through some transistors and capacitors?[/quote]

How vague can you get?! Probably right though. I'm guessing it's similar to the Green Ringer.

Edited by gnasher1993

[quote name='iamapirate' post='623566' date='Oct 11 2009, 10:28 PM']I'm presuming it takes the hot signal from the OD and puts it through some transistors and capacitors?[/quote]

would this then give it a different sound than a regular octave pedal? cause although i'm interested, i don't think there's much need for a pedal that doesn't use power, most of us will have a daisy chain or power unit, and if you need power for 1 pedal on your board it's no hassle for them all to be powered.

Interesting. If it's passive, it won't contain any transistors.

My guess is it's basically a rectifier using diodes that flips the negative part of the bass signal up to the positive, so getting two humps in the waveform for the price of one.

Since it doesn't do any tracking, it could work with polyphonic signals.

[quote name='gnasher1993' post='624145' date='Oct 12 2009, 04:28 PM']We're not asking how it sounds. How does it work?[/quote]

ahem. i'm asking how it sounds :)

i dont care if there's a small pixie in there who listens to the note played then sings it back an octave higher - long as it sounds cool!

Edited by ase_one23

[quote name='phagor' post='624412' date='Oct 12 2009, 08:59 PM'](...)
My guess is it's basically a rectifier using diodes that flips the negative part of the bass signal up to the positive, so getting two humps in the waveform for the price of one.(...)[/quote]

I though exactly the same thing. I am not entirely sure but in theory a bridge of Schottky diodes and some filtering to remove the DC component should do the trick.

[quote name='ase_one23' post='624415' date='Oct 12 2009, 09:01 PM']ahem. i'm asking how it sounds :)

i dont care if there's a small pixie in there who listens to the note played then sings it back an octave higher - long as it sounds cool![/quote]

yeah im with you on this one!

i dont know how it actually works, i havnt asked him. i like the pixie idea though, some say that there is a miniture 8 legged cat inside that meows the octave back to you through a tiny mega phone.