Why become a member? ×

Darkening a maple fretboard ( The fun and games continue )

blazer3

Anyone who"s read my "Disaster" thread will know i"ve been having problems with a precision copy neck i have and i was resigned to binning it but after a few days thinking about it i thought what the hell, i"m gonna have a crack at sorting it out myself and turn it fretless into the bargain, it was free so if i messed up no big deal plus its only a cheap neck, call it a learning curve if you will.

I Removed the frets as carefully as i could then set to work stripping off all the old finish, took me hours to do then it was time to try and sort out that warp at the heel, plenty careful sanding later and i was amazed that i got the warp out and the fingerboard now looks nice and straight, filled in the fretslots with wood filler and set to sanding the entire neck working up through various grades of paper, it still needs a bit of sanding but so far so good, The only problem is that with all the sanding its left the fretboard looking anemic, is there anything i can put on to darken it a tad, i have some oil that i"ve used on rosewood boards but never maple plus i"Ve decided to spray the headstock to match the body.

Worst case scenario is that i"ve completely wrecked the neck and i wont know for sure till its back on the bass but so far so good

You should finish a maple fingerboard with something, even if it has frets. What that should be, I can't really help with - not that familiar with coatings for fretless. I'm guessing the finish should be hardwearing and not sticky at all.