Why become a member? ×

Do I Shell Out ££££ for a Boss CS-1?

Rumple

I have an EBS Multicomp that I use with my fretted basses and love it but I want something with more character to use with the fretless, an old CS-1 could be what I need but I would hate to spend big bucks on a so called vintage pedal if there's something similar I could try. I guess I need something that goes over board rather then subtle.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Dave

Seeing as you want character, I'm guessing you want transparency? If you do, the CS-1 probably isn't what you're looking for. It also cuts some highs and lows so you may need to mod it to retain the bass which is never good for a vintage pedal...

If you really want to shell out for an awesome compressor, check out the FEA SMX, Retrospec Squeezebox or the Frantone Sandwich.

Something cheaper than that...maybe a Barge RC-3 or you could try modding a Boss CS-3.

[quote name='gnasher1993' post='615949' date='Oct 3 2009, 06:51 PM']Seeing as you want character, I'm guessing you want transparency? If you do, the CS-1 probably isn't what you're looking for. It also cuts some highs and lows so you may need to mod it to retain the bass which is never good for a vintage pedal...

If you really want to shell out for an awesome compressor, check out the FEA SMX, Retrospec Squeezebox or the Frantone Sandwich.

Something cheaper than that...maybe a Barge RC-3 or you could try modding a Boss CS-3.[/quote]

I'll look those up, thanks for the heads up.

Transparency is not really what I want as I have that in the EBS I'm after something that's more of an effect. something that swells a little or even distorts a tad.

Keep 'em coming.

R.

I had a CS1 years ago - hardly subtle, from what I remember - also coloured the sound a lot, but good if you wanted the one thing it did well - oodles of sustain and a brutally squidged attack.

These days I use an Ego Squasher form Brian Wampler - although this is pitched primarily at country guitarists, it works very well with basses - the latest one has a tone control too, which I guess might be a good addition, mine is an earlier model - I like the blend facility and variable attack - I can get the old CS1 squash if needed, or Ross-type sounds - but lots more besides. True bypass and well made. If you do get one, you get a good discount if you sign up for the news letter.

[url="http://www.indy-guitarist.com/inc/sdetail/97"]link[/url]

[attachment=33947:web_medium_ego.jpg]

Edited by johnny_b

[quote name='johnny_b' post='616045' date='Oct 3 2009, 08:43 PM']I had a CS1 years ago - hardly subtle, from what I remember - also coloured the sound a lot, but good if you wanted the one thing it did well - oodles of sustain and a brutally squidged attack.

These days I use an Ego Squasher form Brian Wampler - although this is pitched primarily at country guitarists, it works very well with basses - the latest one has a tone control too, which I guess might be a good addition, mine is an earlier model - I like the blend facility and variable attack - I can get the old CS1 squash if needed, or Ross-type sounds - but lots more besides. True bypass and well made. If you do get one, you get a good discount if you sign up for the news letter.

[url="http://www.indy-guitarist.com/inc/sdetail/97"]link[/url]

[attachment=33947:web_medium_ego.jpg][/quote]

Now that's a very interesting sounding pedal and could possible do what I want, I definitely want that coloured very squashed sound for the fretless but that pedal sounds like it might do the job and be usable as a replcement for the EBS - interesting.

Many Thanks for the info.

Anyone else got a suggestion?

R.

[quote name='EskimoBassist' post='616299' date='Oct 4 2009, 10:27 AM']Why not try the Tube mode on your EBS? Really adds character![/quote]

I do like to use my EBS in that mode and it's by far the nicest compression I have used to date but I want to try something more dramatic with the fretless, I had a CS-1 many years ago and remember if you over did it on the settings you got a very squashed sound that almost swelled before the note decayed.

[quote name='clauster' post='616319' date='Oct 4 2009, 10:52 AM']The Monte Allums mod for the CS3 does that swell too - but without the tone loss. Really powerful and character by the truck load :)[/quote]

Cheers, one more for the list, how does that work? you buy a CS3 and a kit to mod it yourself or can you buy them ready built? I'm not too hot with a soldering iron.