Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

B Sting Intonation

V4lve

Hi.

Been messing with the intonation on my OLP MM3 B string and not happy. To get it right I have to wind the saddle right back so that it's under the thicker part of the string where it is double wound. Not sure this is a good thing. Also notice the string doesn't ring as well. Apologies for the cr*p picture. Hopefully you can see what I am on about.

[url="http://img245.imageshack.us/i/dsc00654s.jpg/"][/url]

Any suggestions what is going on and how I might fix it?

Ta

Basically thicker strings require a slightly longer scale to intonate properly. Common problem I would imagine, I had the same thing on my Cort 5 string.

Posssible solutions:
Use some washers between the bridge and ball end of the string so the single wound part of the string rests on the saddle
Reduce the break angle by lowering the saddle (if possible)
Move the entire bridge backwards
or
Bring the saddle forward again leaving it wrongly intonated and just don't play high up on that string

Edited by Protium

With the string being so stiff over this overwound part it's likely that it's effectively almost forming part of the bridge so bringing the saddle further forward won't change the intonation much anyway.

I've experienced B strings intonation changing as they bed in needing the saddle moved forward anyway. Make sure the string has a good break angle over the saddle by forcing it down with your thumb on the pickup side.

All worth a go :)

[quote name='Protium' post='614207' date='Oct 1 2009, 08:41 PM']Use some washers between the bridge and ball end of the string so the single wound part of the string rests on the saddle[/quote]

That's a really interesting solution. It's almost intonated so that would probably do it. I noticed after posting that the bridge is actually a bit wonky, the B end is slightly forward.

Might try that one.

There are strings (some la bella B strings) that have a thinner section over the bridge.
It's a bit tricky getting the B string in on a musicman 5. I usually turn the saddle on it's side when replacing the string.

Re the tapered section at the bridge. I like nickels and most tapered strings are steel. Sadowsky do a set of 5 string nickels with just a tapered B. (I think all their 5 string sets have a tapered :). I've ordered a set from the States at a reasonable price and I'm going to try them out.

Re Spector basses some B strings are to thick to fit into the bridge too so hopefully this will help there.

Sadowsky strings are made by La Bella but aren't the same strings repackaged.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120339508362"]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=120339508362[/url]