Why become a member? ×

BOSS ME50B

RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

I've had this pedal for a few weeks and love it.
What I'm trying to achieve is the same level when using the effects,as bypass.
At the moment ,I'm finding the bypass position(standing on both pedals)
louder than when I select one of the pedals.

I'm getting by (almost) by not going into bypass mode and just stomping on and off
each pedal required for each song. I assume this is not really the right way to be doing it.

I have read the instructions ,and they are easier to understand than most effects units.

I only need to use it on 3-4 songs .

What I'm trying to achieve is the bottom end to remain, and for a nice (but not overpowering) effect to be heard.

Please could someone help?

Sorry if I've made it sound too complicated

Cheers :)

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='613395' date='Sep 30 2009, 10:47 PM']Stick it in a proper bypass loop, or an LS2, the twin switch bypass is a nut-pain.[/quote]

Thanks for that. The twin switch is a pain. Sorry to sound so dim, but what is a proper bypass loop?
Is that the send/return jacks on an amp?

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='614089' date='Oct 1 2009, 06:38 PM']Thanks for that. The twin switch is a pain. Sorry to sound so dim, but what is a proper bypass loop?
Is that the send/return jacks on an amp?[/quote]

A ture bypass loop pedal, kinda expensive looking on ebay, cheap to make yourself with an enclosure. Basically they switch the entire pedal out of the circuit. Google will give you many schematics to make one, or plenty of people on the forum can make one for you.

I've been using the ME50B for some years now. The way I use it (and I think this is the way it's meant to be used) is to set up my standard "default" sound in "normal" mode (i.e. not in "tuner" or "bypass" mode). As it happens this sound for me is with the EQ section set flat (all controls at 12 o'clock including "Level") and I like the natural compression. This is what I use as the bass sound without effects. Each of the effects blocks has an E.Level setting - this should allow you to set the amount of each effect which is added to the "dry" sound, so you can retain the bass body of the default sound and mix in the amount of the effect that you want. So you engage the effects simply by stomping that effects section as and when you need it. I don't use the "tuner/bypass" mode other than for tuning as it cuts out any compression or EQ that you might want running for your default sound as well. I feed the ME50B output directly into the instrument input of the head I use. By and large I find amp effects loops tend to distort the sound in one way or another. The ME50B does allow you to store preselected settings for the effects, but with the rather fiddley bank selection process and the fact that I use relatively few effects I tend to use it only in "stomp box" mode. Hope that helps.

[quote name='NAS' post='615464' date='Oct 3 2009, 04:08 AM']I've been using the ME50B for some years now. The way I use it (and I think this is the way it's meant to be used) is to set up my standard "default" sound in "normal" mode (i.e. not in "tuner" or "bypass" mode). As it happens this sound for me is with the EQ section set flat (all controls at 12 o'clock including "Level") and I like the natural compression. This is what I use as the bass sound without effects. Each of the effects blocks has an E.Level setting - this should allow you to set the amount of each effect which is added to the "dry" sound, so you can retain the bass body of the default sound and mix in the amount of the effect that you want. So you engage the effects simply by stomping that effects section as and when you need it. I don't use the "tuner/bypass" mode other than for tuning as it cuts out any compression or EQ that you might want running for your default sound as well. I feed the ME50B output directly into the instrument input of the head I use. By and large I find amp effects loops tend to distort the sound in one way or another. The ME50B does allow you to store preselected settings for the effects, but with the rather fiddley bank selection process and the fact that I use relatively few effects I tend to use it only in "stomp box" mode. Hope that helps.[/quote]

Thanks for that. I think this way sounds the right way to use it.
The bypass setting should have been in a seperate jack like other ones. That's the only thing wrong with this unit.
I'll try this out in rehearsal tomorrow,and let you know the outcome .

Cheers :)