Why become a member? ×

I might need to build up my neck pocket ( hope not though )

blazer3

A few weeks ago i was given an 80s precision copy, the action on it was frighteningly high ( about 1cm,possibly higher ), theres still a bit of adjustment in the bridge saddles so it can be lowered some more and i was gonna put a shim in it anyway just to get the action down that bit further.
I"ve since refinished it and cleaned up the maple fretboard and everythings looking ready to go back together in a couple of weeks when the clearcoat has cured but im getting a bit worried just in case the action cant be sorted with a shim.

Could i build the neck up up a fraction just so the neck sits slightly proud of the pickguard ( its flush at the moment ) which in turn would lower the action even more, is it possible to do a full pocket shim and what are the pro"s and con"s of this and what materials can be used for such a job.

maybe i"m worrying over nothing and everthing will be fine with just a shim and a tweak here and there but some help would be greatly appreciated if i had to go down that road.

Below is a pic of the bass the day i got it and you can clearly see the high action

all the best

Mick

You'd be amazed what a small shim can do. Try it first and see. I used a small scrap of 0.6mm zebrano veneer for my last shim and that sorted out the Badass "oh dear I've run out of adjustment scope because of this disgustingly thick base" problem no worries.

All the info you need is here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=49897"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=49897[/url]

Getting some veneer is no problem as my uncles a joiner with his own business plus he"s already sorting me some veneer strips out for a neck i"ve just defretted, i just have to take the neck up to him so the strips are spot on and fit perfect so i"ll have a word with him about the neck pocket while im there just in case the shim doesn"t sort it out.

cheers for the replys guys, much appreciated.

all the best

Mick