Why become a member? ×

Another 'advice on cabs' thread

NJE

Hello,

I have just picked up a Eden WTX260 head and I cant wait to get using it but I need a cab to go with it but have no idea what to get. I got the amp from Happy Jack who gave me some good advice as far as cabs go, but still considdering what will be best.

Points to considder:

1. The cab should be 4ohm. The amp (like most) will run at top voulume at 4ohms. Now I have read that this is a loud amp and will produce the goods through a 8ohm but I would rather just get a 4ohm to start with and get the most out so I have the power if i need it. Also I cannot afford to be changing in the near future (I just bought a house)

2. I dont really know what the different make cabs are like. I have only really ever used Ashdown at length with a few brief moments with EBS, Markbass and EA. How different do EBS sound against Aguilar for example?

3. I have a limited budget to get a cab. I have around £300-£350 to get a cab so i am pretty much looking at secondhand. There are a couple I have my eye on but I would probably not be able to try them out. Bass Direct are fairly close to me but I dont want to go there and waste thier time as I would not be able to afford any of their cabs new!

Portability is not a huge problem ( I am quite young) and I dont really have a preference on speaker size but like a nice smooth tone and not too fond of really sparkling high end. I will need to compete with guitar, drums and Keys playing fairly chilled music so no metal or anything. I have made enquiries about a EBS 2x12 and Aguilar 2x12, any opinions on these?

Any help gratefully received.

Nathan

Barefaced compact sounds like a good match, although it isn't a tiny cab. The sound is pretty "traditional" but with more mid range definition, which I think would suit an Eden well (if is sounds anything like a WT300?). I wouldn't worry too much about 4ohms in this case, as the compact is a "loud" cab, it was plenty powerful with my IA Clarus .

I love EA cabs...but they can be pricey even used, and older versions are a bit heavy.

Hi,

Funnily enough Jack who I got the amp from has been using barefaced if I recall, and said they were fantatsic. Unfortunately the cheapest cab is still £100 over my very top budget otherwise they would be top of my list to check out for sure. I wish I could afford all the gear i want but i guess a few of us on here are in that position.

Cheers,

Nathan

Ok - look out for a used EA CXL112? - I think they go for around £350 used, although pretty rare because they were exceeeedingly expensive new in the UK. My favourite all-round cab, although it seems a bit unforgiving when you first try it. Not very light (42-44lbs?) but good size. I used mine with an Eden WT300 and it was great, could cope with surprisingly big rooms...for about 20 mins until the Eden overheated!