Why become a member? ×

Through-body String Ferrules Falling Out

EssentialTension

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='610107' date='Sep 27 2009, 04:35 PM']I string my Precison through the bridge so the through-body ferrules are not held in by the string. One of them keeps falling out and I either have to keep retrieving it from the floor or store it elsewhere so as not to lose it.

Any suggestions besides super-glue for keeping it in place?[/quote]

a small piece of sellotape just enough to make the ferrule tight again
wound or partially wound round the tubular part
glue could affect the paint finish

another tip is a tiny bit of blutak...and wipe away the excess...

why not TBS?...thats what they are there for...and you can throw away any thoughts on the bridge giving full tone

leo wanted it that way

[quote name='mrcrow' post='610156' date='Sep 27 2009, 05:52 PM']a small piece of sellotape just enough to make the ferrule tight again
wound or partially wound round the tubular part
glue could affect the paint finish

another tip is a tiny bit of blutak...and wipe away the excess...[/quote]
Thanks for the suggestions.

[quote name='mrcrow' post='610156' date='Sep 27 2009, 05:52 PM']why not TBS?...thats what they are there for...and you can throw away any thoughts on the bridge giving full tone

leo wanted it that way[/quote]
Flatwound strings and an experience of breakage. Plus I can't actually hear any difference.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='610169' date='Sep 27 2009, 06:05 PM']Thanks for the suggestions.
Flatwound strings and an experience of breakage. Plus I can't actually hear any difference.[/quote]

strange since flats were all that was available...way back when
but i thank you for that since my 51P is TBS and i want to try flats
will probably use TI

thinks...maybe way back then is when bridge stringing needed to be introduced...ie the flats..good one

cheers
geof

[quote name='mrcrow' post='610180' date='Sep 27 2009, 06:22 PM']strange since flats were all that was available...way back when
but i thank you for that since my 51P is TBS and i want to try flats
will probably use TI

thinks...maybe way back then is when bridge stringing needed to be introduced...ie the flats..good one

cheers
geof[/quote]
Yes, I recognise the anomaly that back in the fifties it was all flats.

I almost always use TI Jazz Flats and they are generally said to be OK through body and I have used them through body for a long time myself - but then I broke an A string at the bridge.

Of course it happened at a gig, two bars into the second song, when I had (unusually) not taken a spare bass with me. Since then I've been going through bridge but perhaps I need to risk it again and remember the spare bass.

I've used D'Addario Chromes through body too without any problem but I've heard La Bellas and GHS flats are not good through body.

[quote name='7string' post='610431' date='Sep 27 2009, 11:04 PM']If you go back to stringing though the body, file a gentle ramp where the string comes out from the body and over the bridge itself.

Hopefully, this'll cure the string breakage problem.[/quote]
Thanks, I've heard that before.

I did only break one string but it was the first in about 30 years. :)