Why become a member? ×

PRS Question

coasterbass

Firstly, just to state, I'm a big backer of the PRS, and never try to weasle out of paying whats due. However, I've got a question about how much should be paid at a future gig I'm playing which is a mix of originals and covers.

The deal in the contract is 2% of sales, and we have to handle arrangements with the PRS.

There's three bands on the lineup and all the ticket cash goes in to one pot. There's one covers band and two originals, who are not PRS registered.

If we sell £1000 of tickets, then we owe £20 to PRS, but what about the fact that 2/3rds of the songs played aren't covers? Doesn't this mean we're overpaying the PRS?

To put it in an extreme scenario... what would happen if we sold £10,000 of tickets, and only played one cover - would we still owe £200, and would it all go to the one artist who wrote the one song we covered?

Or is this all correct and its the PRS' way of convincing us to register to get our share of the PRS for the songs we wrote ourselves?

Yours truly,

Confused of Londinium

Whay are you asking us? Ask PRS.

I was always under the impression that PRS was paid for by venues not bands. We had a PRS lady turn up at a gig last Sunday. She listed every song and composer.

This was more than a little amusing as the whole gig was in Portuguese. She had never heard of any of the songs we did ('Drao', 'Tiro Onda', 'Deixa Acontecer', 'Xote da Alegria' etc) or of any of the composers (Caetano Veloso, Chico Buarque, Djavan, Joao Bosco etc)

We could have told her anything :) but gave her the infor she needed and she left happy.

It is very unorthodox for the bands themselves to be handling PRS duties. The reason why the venue you're playing at has a live music license in the first place is to cover royalty payments to PRS. So you have to ask yourself, why are you paying the PRS......when they are at the same time?!.....assuming the venue has a licence that is!

And regardless, you pay the 2% even if the other bands aren't registered, technically speaking everyone should be submitting setlists to the PRS for the said gig, and so if these original bands join up say 1 month down the line, they can back date their royalties to include this gig!

Cool
Si