Why become a member? ×

P Bass Pickguard Problem

basshead56

Hi Guys.
Recently got my hands on a beautiful 1978, all original and 99% immaculate (cigarette burn on headstock) Fender Precision.
It is gorgeous. Sort of cherry/sunburst finish. It came with both pup covers and thumbrest and orig strap.
I am in love all over again and all it cost me was my modded Mike Dirnt Sig P Bass and a White Epiphone T-Bird! Now I face an even tougher time when deciding what to bring on the road with me ( Gibson TBird, Fender Am Dlx P Bass,78 P Bass, 70´s RI Pbass, Pink Hoppus sig, SUB, Mustang... list goes on and on!)

Anyway, my only concern is the pickgaurd-white looks awful against this colour, and as I intend to gig this a bit, I wanna swap it out for a black one.
Now, I know this is 13 Hole American already, but will a modern Fender American Standard one fit this? Also, do they come drilled for pup covers and thumbrest?
Anyone got any info at all?
Many thanks,
Basshead56

I doubt its a '78 this as I have a cherry sunburst precision like that (bought new in '82 and weighs a ton) and they were only made in '81 & '82 in that colour. The serial number probably suggests '78, but a lot of S8 & S9 serial numbers ended up on basses as late as '81. If there's a date scribbled on the end of the neck I bet it'll indicate that its an '81.

A modern Fender US pickguard should fit, but you'll need to drill the extra holes for the pickup cover using the original as a template. Alternatively get a 70s pattern one from WDmusic: [url="http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/product/Precision_Bass_Vintage_-_Black_|_White_|_Black_PB-403"]http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/product/Precision..._|_Black_PB-403[/url]