Why become a member? ×

Frequency capabilities of cabs/combos

TheBlueFalcon

I'm having a difficult time understanding why a lot of smaller cabs/combos don't seem to go down as low as they need to on the lower frequencies. I can understand that different size woofers in different size boxes will have an effect on the capabilites, but if a cab/combo does not cover the required range, I don't see how it can give an accurate result. If the E string on a 4-string bass is supposed to be tuned to 41.204Hz (even lower when "Low D" tuning is used or when using a 5-string bass) why are there so many cabs/combos that have 8, 10 and even 12 inch woofers that don't go below 45Hz?

Can the difference be heard between one that "rolls off" and doesn't reproduce frequencies below 45Hz and one that is capable of reproducing the full frequency range necessary? Not having experince of this I wondered if anyone can tell me if I should be looking for a cab/combo that will definitely cover the necessary depth in the lower frequencies. Or am I just worring for no reason?

Someone else will explain this all to you soon, but I'll add this. The fundmental of a note is not needed (especially one so low).

Also speaker size only affects dispersion. It's the T/S specs that are important along with the volume and tuning of the cab itself (I think).

edit: It's pretty safe to ignore most manufacturer published specs. They're normally complete rubbish.

Edited by Uncle Balsamic

[quote name='TheBlueFalcon' post='603707' date='Sep 20 2009, 12:14 PM']If the E string on a 4-string bass is supposed to be tuned to 41.204Hz (even lower when "Low D" tuning is used or when using a 5-string bass) why are there so many cabs/combos that have 8, 10 and even 12 inch woofers that don't go below 45Hz?[/quote]Because the primary power bandwidth of electric bass starts at the 2nd harmonic, an octave up from the fundamental. The fundamental is there, but at less intensity than the harmonics until you get up around 100 Hz, where the fundamental begins to dominate.

[quote]Can the difference be heard between one that "rolls off" and doesn't reproduce frequencies below 45Hz and one that is capable of reproducing the full frequency range[/quote]Yes, but the difference isn't all that much. OTOH many bass cabs, combos especially, have weak response below 100 Hz, and how they sound compared to a cab that runs flat to 50 Hz is pretty substantial. The main reason for bass cabs having a weak low end isn't the drivers, it's the cabinets, which tend to be far too small for the drivers within to operate optimally.

Thanks for the reply Bill.

From your reply I take it I am worrying over nothing?

You'll have to excuse my lack of knowledge, I am relatively new to all of this. I've had a look at your site and need to do some more reading.

Initially I need something for practicing so I've been looking at small combo units, but I don't want to buy one and find out it isn't capable of doing what it needs to. I don't need loud volume, just good quality. Therefore, I moved up from the "budget" models and I'm now considering a Roland Cube 30 Bass or a Line 6 Lowdown Studio 110. With these approaching £200, I wondered if I should be looking at an amp and cab. It needs to be something small though unfortunately, which I think limits me quite a lot.

So much equipment to choose from isn't really helping!! :)