Why become a member? ×

Anyone know of a 21 fret alder jazz bass?

funkle

Ok, been doing more research, and have found a few more instruments which fit the bill. Tending to be expensive though!

G&L - USA JB-2 (not the Tribute, which is ash bodied)
Mike Lull - V4 or M4/M4V
Celinder - Classic or Vintage Jazz (but WOW, the prices are just unbelieveable)
Alleva-Coppolo (ditto as for Celinder, plus the headstock is not my idea of beauty)
Lakland - they can do a USA DJ4 in alder...

It's all a bit frustrating. Essentially, most of the 60's Jazz Bass clones are overseas. :)

Alternatively, grab yourself the Squier, and fit a Warmoth neck. It should bolt straight on, and has that vital extra fret on an fingerboard extension. Custom without custom! Although that might be a stretch to get to without mods to the cutaway...

Edited by Telebass

[quote name='Telebass' post='610242' date='Sep 27 2009, 07:27 PM']Alternatively, grab yourself the Squier, and fit a Warmoth neck. It should bolt straight on, and has that vital extra fret on an fingerboard extension. Custom without custom! Although that might be a stretch to get to without mods to the cutaway...[/quote]

Good idea. I've been wondering about that too! Something to think on further.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I bought the Squier Classic Vibe 60's Jazz!

[url="http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0303075505"]http://www.squierguitars.com/products/sear...rtno=0303075505[/url]

I tried contacting Willows about the Spunky bass - but after I week I hadn't heard anything back, and I must admit my patience broke. I had played the Squier a few times over last month, and every time I thought it sounded brilliant. Unbelieveable for the money.

So, although I think the Willows Spunky Jazz is most likely a better instrument, and has 21 frets instead of 20, I bit the bullet and just went with what I could find locally (and of course, the tone just kills me, it sealed the deal). I would have gone for the Spunky bass if they had gotten back to me...

Maybe I'll replace the neck at some point - get 21 frets on there. Who knows? I'll live with it as it is for now though...it just sounds so good!