Why become a member? ×

The Embassy

doctor_of_the_bass

Anyone remember the fine bass-only haven in sunny Mansfield Woodhouse and later, Pleasley Vale? They are partly responsible for all my gas problems! The wall of `Wals' had to be seen to be believed and they always had something of interest - I really miss those days.

Dave Shields and Jon Vanaman were great guys to deal with; Dave is a monster player (anyone remember `Oblivious' by Aztec Camera - that was Dave on t'bass).

I remember the Embassy very well. I used to go there quite often to have a chat with Jon and Dave. The shop in Mansfield Woodhouse was a great place to chill out, play a few basses and sometimes even buy one or two - two Wals (one fretted and one fretless) and a StingRay are three that spring to mind. That wall of Wals was absolutely fantastic, there was always a dozen or so stunning examples! They introduced me to Shuker basses (they always kept a few hangin' about) and advised me that Mr Shuker was the man to see if a needed my basses serviced. I took their advise and would quite often go from the Embassy to see John Shuker at his workshop and get me planks sorted. I find it sad that places like the Embassy don't exist any longer (ebay..... guilty?), you could try and buy such wonderful instruments in a relaxed atmosphere, no pressure, lots of pleasure....... now that what I call shopping!

Doc.... I really miss those days too and yes, Dave Shields is too damn good - I can't stand talented people! :huh: - he also played (plays?) with Doctor and the Medics and was (is?) a Shuker endorsee...... sorry about the uncertainty but I haven't spoken to him for ages.

Guyl.... What happened? Well, when they moved to the old mill at Pleasley Vale they some how lost a lot of the feel/soul of the old place and although they tried they never seemed to recover from a flood that they had there shortly after moving in. A few months later they, as far as I know, packed it in and went on to other things.

Very sad...... :) :huh:

Mart

By the way nice collection of basses Doc..... 45 wasn't it!! :huh:

Edited by woodenshirt