Why become a member? ×

Shuker Thru Neck 6er

Johngh

After a lot of thought I've decided to get Jon Shuker to make me another 6 string. This time it will be headed though. To be honest I've been that happy with the last one he made me it was a no brainer when it came to decide on who would make this one.
I went to see Jon last Saturday and gave him a basic spec as to what I was after, and he has now given me a quote, and I'm going to go with it.
It will have a shorter top horn than a standard Shuker, and also an Alembic type pointy bit at the bottom of the body. I'm undecided on whether to have a standard shape Shuker head or a Alembic-Pangborn type pointy head. The body top and head will be Cocobolo finished in Jon's famous see your face in it high gloss laquer. Here is the basic spec and a couple of photos on what the body and head may look like.

6 string through neck

5 piece laminated neck (maple/purpleheart)
rosewood f/board > 2x two way truss rods
4x carbon fibre reinforcement
face dots,mother of pearl or maybe some simple inlay

red led side markers
cocobolo headstock veneer
medium or jumbo fretwire
brass nut

black walnut body
cocobolo drop top
white sycamore veneer between top and body
polyester basecoat
wet look gloss topcoat

individual bridge units
gold hardware
gold tuners (possibly gotoh or hipshot ultralite)
black knobs
EMG sized pickup routs
Seymour Duncan ASB2 , custom wind or EMG;s
shuker 3 band eq

[attachment=32430:alem_coc_2.jpg]

[attachment=32431:alem_head_1.jpg]

• 4 months later...

[quote name='peted' post='706681' date='Jan 9 2010, 03:55 PM']How about getting pickups and electrics that allow you to put in a passive switch? Best of both worlds then.[/quote]

Yes, That's an option. I'm leaving Jon alone though at the moment. He's bound to be behind with builds now due to the weather. I'm in no great hurry, so I'll leave it a few weeks and pick it up again then.

• 1 year later...

I can't believe it was Sept 2009 when I first thought of having this made.

I've been to see Jon this morning and gone through the spec again. The build is now back on. 7 month wait though, should imagine it will be longer unless I bribe him with loads of chocolate hob nobs. :)

GET IN! ;o) - Dear Mr Shuker... oh no.. please, I don't NEED G.A.S right now! Looking forward to seeing this one take shape! I agree with Peted - Jon's interpretations to my eye are always spot on. I think I could give him a spec of what I wanted then let him get on with it and know that I'd love the outcome. Infact, my six string headless was more like that, but we did spend a huge amount of time discussing my seven string, so I guess he knew exactly what I did and didn't want ha!!

Congrats John, pleased for you matey!

Dooooooooooooooooood