Why become a member? ×

Seriously impressed with my Amp & Cab setup

Bottle

Hi Guys :)

Well, where do I start? Have been helping a friend record a new CD this weekend, and she had asked me to provide a bass amp and cab for the session bassist to use (the studio only had a Hughes & Kettner combo, which had seen better days!), so I obliged by bringing my EBS cab and GK head along. Bit nervous as I've not really gigged the set up properly yet, so had my fingers crossed :lol: .

But I needn't have worried :rolleyes: . Seriously impressed with how easy it was to get a great tone out of the set up, makes me glad I'd opted for the GK head (thanks to Darren @ The Bass Merchant)- it's a cracking little beast. First time I've really had the setup at anywhere near gigging volume. The studio had several rooms and cupboards off of the main recital hall, so we were able to set up the cab and head in isolation, which helped a great deal. Mic'ed up the cab with an AKG D112 drum mic, and took a DI feed out of the bassists' Sansamp BDDI pedal.

Got some great comments from the bassist and guitarist, and the recording engineers - all were impressed with the GK head matched to the EBS 4x10. So really happy with the outcome, and it's going to be an awesome CD - just listening to the rough mix in the control room I was completely blown away by quality of the recording.

So one happy bunny - looking forward to bringing the cab and amp to the Bass Bash in October. See you all there!

Ian

[quote name='charic' post='592810' date='Sep 8 2009, 12:34 PM']out of interest what kind of sound do u get from this? Im also fairly interestd in the 700rbII[/quote]
Head was my MB2-500, haven't tried a 700RBII yet

During the rehearsals had the amp sat on the cab and rolled off some of the bass and treble, bit of mid to cut thru the mix (two guitarists and a loud drummer).

When we went for the recording, put the amp/head in another room with a snake under the door, DI'd out from the bassists Sansamp, AKG D112 in front of the cab - rolled off a lot of the treble, bit of mids and bass up to fit the AKG's response. All-in-all a very punchy sound.

Hopefully will speak to the rec. engineer this week - maybe get some of the isolated bass tracks up.

HTH