Why become a member? ×

jazz back pick up playing

ziggydolphinboy

Hi Everyone,
Can anyone advise me in how to get my bass in the right position to play that back jazz pick up comfortably.
I have a sei six and shuker six they have soapbar pick ups and i can play the back pick up fine and i love the back pup on my wk dolphin .

I recently sold my fender jazz beacause it didnt feel right, I got the lovely Ostinato jazz from Bubinga and
played it last night but couldnt get to grips with feeling comfortable plying the back pup.
I love the tightness from these pick pups but cant seem to get it right on the jazz,
(im gonna have a ramp put on the jazz as i played a jazz with a ramp on and it felt comfortable)

is it my strap lentgh ?or is it just practising playing in that position rather than being lazy and playing on the neck pup?
or is it that the other basses are better shaped?

Any ideas?
kindest rgerds
Ziggy/john

I just start with my thump on the pickup and then floating anchor it down each string as I play. It seems to work and a change in tone is my hint that I've moved forward.

Strangely I learnt to play over the neck pup and for a while found I gravitated there when playing. Now it's the opposite and I keep finding myself going to the burpy end :)

i also started more over the neck
but as i got to liking burpy tones in the main i found i was migrating further back
my ear did it and eventually my shoulder adopted the correct attitude so my arm dropped over the bridge area
i now have to think my hand towards the neck to get the softer and fuller tones